Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 11-09-2005, 10:08 AM

Default Aptitude Test For Winning Players

Greetings,

I am currently recruiting players to be on a Single Table Tournament poker team of sorts. I am finding it a bit difficult to wade through the various people who would like to take part and am wanting to put together some kind of an aptitude test to give people when they first inquire...this would hopefully gauge thier aptitude in the underlying skill sets and personality characteristics that it takes to be a winning poker player. This is irregardless of results, or even experience.

Some questions that come to mind would be:

Do you often feel broke, even though you have what other people would consider a suitable amount of money to sustain a normal life.

-This question neither has a right nor a wrong answer. It just lets us know that the person could possibly be wreckless with money (a good and a bad thing in poker) or thay they may be a tight-wad with their money (also a good and a bad thing in poker).

----

Do you have now, or have you ever had a problem controlling your drinking, drug use or gambling?

Aside from the obvious problem with honesty-this question would help to put people in one of a couple of categories. Both of these categories (IMO) consist of winning players, but it would be good to know the category...

---------------
As we will likely be administering this test online, it could be GRE like and give people follow-up questions based upon the their answers to previous questions.

So i'd like to toss that out for anybody who may want to collaborate on this or who may want to kick around some sample question idea's.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Aptitude Test For Winning Players

I'd love to A) be on the team although I think I play too low to be considered, and B) I would love to contribute to the effort to either make new questions or helop interpret them.

PM me. This sounds like fun.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:08 PM

Ask about their pre-game preperation. This might uncover whether or not they believe in luck.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:16 PM

You also need to ask them how they play their SNG's i.e. how many tables, in sets or continuous, whether or not they take a break when bad beaten?

And also, I found out that alot of people wont even watch after they make a hard decision, so they wont be results-oriented.

Maybe have them decipher a gigabet post? Not that there's a right answer, but it will DEFINITELY divulge their thinking pattern.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:55 PM

If you're looking for a screening test, you really ought to choose questions whose answers are correlated with playing ability, righ?
Old 11-09-2005, 02:25 PM

I'm in, i 10 table the $55's w/ 14%+rakeback...

i'l pwn your batch test.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:09 PM

If you have to cheat to win you really are a loser.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're looking for a screening test, you really ought to choose questions whose answers are correlated with playing ability, righ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. It may not be less neccesary to understand their playing styles and more neccesary to understand their $-making ability.

Additionally, while I think attributes of a winning player will include stuff like non-results oriented thinking, good bankroll management, and low tilt factor, etc., knowledge of thsese may prove less predictive to winning ability than past profit/loss records.
I'm sure you can find a suitable number of people that have won xEntry-fees in y SNGs with suitable records to prove. Isn't this all you care about?
Old 11-09-2005, 04:58 PM

It might not be, if their aim is to strip down the players playing-style-wise, and coach them into good sng players.

Then its more their attitude that matters.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if their aim is to strip down the players playing-style-wise, and coach them into good sng players.

Then its more their attitude that matters.

[/ QUOTE ]