Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 09:44 PM

Default How to play AK OOP against differing opponents

I'm pretty sure this is the best line. MP2 is TAGgish, maybe a bit on the loose side, but he's read a book or two. UTG+2 is a loose, bad calling station.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (4.70 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls.

River: (10.70 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 12.70 BB
Old 09-12-2005, 10:00 PM

Default Re: How to play AK OOP against differing opponents

I don't like your turn check at all. I'm really not convinced based on the read that you gave that MP2 will bet when checked to which loses you a ton of value.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:03 PM

I like bet bet bet better.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like bet bet bet better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Second.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:06 PM

I bet and raise as much as I can on the flop and turn. If the river isn't a J, or T, then I can't see too many hands they have that can beat you. Just bet, a lot.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet and raise as much as I can on the flop and turn. If the river isn't a J, or T, then I can't see too many hands they have that can beat you. Just bet, a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congratulations on understanding ABC poker.

But all you guys, Jason &amp; Shant and Hobbs, et al, it pays to stray from robotic ABC obviousness. This isn't FPS here. It's getting maximum value. The TAG is going to bet when checked to most of the time, with hands that he'll call the flop with. If he had a strong draw that's worth checking the turn, I'd think he'd raise the flop.

When he bets, a check-raise will do several things: besides the obvious thing that it gives me 4BBs on the turn as opposed to 2, it forces the calling station to make an unprofitable call with several of his potential holdings.

The times I get 5-6BBs on the turn and river as opposed to the times I get 3-4 (plus getting outdrawn by UTG+2) make the checkraise a more profitable play, I think. I think the 2BB gain in this line is enough to offset the rare times MP decides to check through the turn.

I really wish people would think about relative position and specific opponents before just spewing the SS creed of "BET! RAISE! AGGRESSION! ALL THE TIME!"
Old 09-12-2005, 10:36 PM

Your post is so insulting it's really difficult for me to even be bothered with finding the effort to elaborate on why I think that your thinking is flawed.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your post is so insulting it's really difficult for me to even be bothered with finding the effort to elaborate on why I think that your thinking is wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

in joker's defense, i'd like to point out that if you think the TAG bets that turn more than about 55 or 60 percent of the time (and i do), then joker's line is best. this depends on his read of the calling station, of course.

if i'm missing something please let me know....
Old 09-12-2005, 10:41 PM

He's facing the calling station with two cold. The TAG may fold his weak holding. This is not a good board to attempt to extract two bets on the turn from marginal holdings.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your post is so insulting it's really difficult for me to even be bothered with finding the effort to elaborate on why I think that your thinking is wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

in joker's defense, i'd like to point out that if you think the TAG bets that turn more than about 55 or 60 percent of the time (and i do), then joker's line is best. this depends on his read of the calling station, of course.

if i'm missing something please let me know....

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to say something like this that giving the read of the calling station if TAG bets close to 2/3's of the time and (warning extreme assumption) calling station calls with all holdings than PJ's line is best. But, I'm still not convinced that given his flop calling standars that this is the case......anybody want to do an analysis?