Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 07:54 PM

Default Showing uncalled winning hands - do you do it?

Usually when I have a decent hand, and I win without being called, I tend to choose to show my cards. I feel like by showing cards with good hands, people will respect you more when you bluff/smei-bluff bet and it can work to your advantage. I think it could also be a disadvantage though, because when you have a good hand, people will expect you to, and won't call you down and pay you off. Anyone have any thoughts on showing/mucking uncalled hands and its effect on table image? Sorry if this has been posted before, but I couldn't find it in the search.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:02 PM

Default Re: Showing uncalled winning hands - do you do it?

I'll do it very selectively in live games but always have the button checked in online games.

Online, it's harder to use such things to manipulate your opponents, and chances are the only people who are going to notice such things are the observant, good players who you don't want to give info to.

In live games, you have much more control over how your information will affect things since your reads will generally be much sharper and you will have a much better idea of how your opponents think and how they think of you.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:05 PM

It's been posted before, but no worries. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I don't generally like to show my cards, unless I'm involved in a particularly friendly game (like a 2+2 table). For starters, I don't want my opponents to get a handle on how I play my hands, or what my preflop raising standards are. Sure, it might be neat to show your 99 when you flopped quads, but do you really want the table to know that you raised 99 from UTG?

The other side of the coin is that you don't want them to know when they made good folds. Leaving that bit of wonder in the back of their minds makes it more likely that you'll be called down or played back at in the future, especially when you catch a really good run of cards. It can also cause an otherwise good opponent to tilt, for example when he 3-bets you preflop with TT and you flop top two with AQ. He might just go off his rocker and call down, or even 3-bet the flop because "nobody can catch every single flop".

Once in a blue moon I'll show a winning hand when I don't have to. And once in a blue moon I'll show a bluff when I don't have to. But I definitely don't make a habit out of either.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:06 PM

Firstly... Whats with the screen name>? Is it a birth defect? Do the ladies like it?

Secondly... Showing winners aye? Reverse advertising its called, mainly done by donks and 'honest johns'. It kills your callers. Thats its effect. So you lose money on your winners to gain on bluffs, but get caught bluffing once and all your work is wasted. Don't rate it.

JT [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]