Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 01:59 AM

Default WSJ.com/Barron\'s worth $99/year?

Just wondering, thinking of getting this.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:40 AM

Default Re: WSJ.com/Barron\'s worth $99/year?

I subscribe to the hardcopy WSJ. Then you get the online for free.

I cannot figure out if the online is identical to the hardcopy. I find it more difficult to read the online version. For some reason, it seems easier for me to just flip real pages.

But, assuming the websites have the complete hardcopy editions, $99 for both Baron's and WSJ sounds like a great deal, and is also great for the environment. You don't have to pay for paper, printing, mailing, and delivery.

If you want to invest successfully, I think it's absolutely essential to follow what is going on with the economy, the markets, stocks, etc. If you spend $99 a year, the knowledge you gain may be worth many more times that.

Assuming 20 work days a month, 12 months in a year.

That's only about 41 cents per day for access to two outstanding financial publications.

You can read lots of Fortune and Businessweek online. And you can watch CNBC business news. If you work during the day, you can tape it or if you have TIVO even better.

If you have a long commute, you can get satellite radio and CNBC is one of the channels. But I hate listening to so many of the stupid commercials.

Wish I could get CNBC on my computer at work. But we have some kind of firewall so I cannot download everything I want to. And many websites are blocked.

I cannot access this website anymore. They have some kind of smart system that figures out what you are accessing and blocks it if there are too many adds or if it finds the site is associated with gambling.

I cannot get motley fool anymore. But ironically you can still get ebay, amazon, and other things. I would rather have fool so I can read their articles.

I guess, given how valuable I think WSJ is, I would put it this way, if you are serious about investing, how can you NOT afford to be reading them on a regular basis.

I guess the alternative, if you want to save money, is to read them at the library. But that takes time. And time is money too.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:39 AM

I wouldn't necessarily subscribe to any fool offerings, other than their free website. But this article makes a good point.

Information is the most important thing in investing. Followed closely by the second most important think -- dumb luck.

http://www.fool.com/news/commentary/...source=mppromo
Old 08-15-2005, 12:49 PM

I would rate Investors Business Daily as more important than the WSJ.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:07 PM

IBD is $20/month, while WSJ/Barron's is $99/year. Is IBD worth 2.5X more?
Old 08-15-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is IBD worth 2.5X more?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, yes, you are getting significantly more value out of IBD.

Both offer free trials, give them both a shot, and see what you think.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would rate Investors Business Daily as more important than the WSJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. IBD is way better than WSJ. I get the Saturday edition which gives the same access to the website as the daily. Cost a little less and I don't have all those papers stacking up.

WSJ online is only like $6 month and it includes barrons online. Seems worth it to me so I subscribe. The paper is not worth it IMO. I used to get briefing.com but it's not really that good. Most of the same stuff is on yahoo for free.

For real time news, Dow Jones is very good for about $100/month. A must for day traders.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:57 PM

cat,

you might consider adding the friday paper as well, the weekly review of 85-85 stocks alone is worth the price.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:44 AM

I read WSJ, IBD, Barron's, Fortune, Bus. Week, Forbes, and OID. I rank them thusly on a 1-10 scale (10 being indispensable, 1 being waste of time):
OID - 10
WSJ, Fortune - 8
Barron's - 6
Bus Wk, Forbes - 4
IBD - 2
IBD is for day traders, chartists, and the like--not long-term investors. As a long-term Graham-and-Doddsville investor, the -only- parts of IBD I read are the famous quotes & biographies (page 3 usually) and the mutual fund manager bios (page 6 or 7 or so).
-web
Old 08-17-2005, 11:22 AM

What's OID?