Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2005, 07:50 PM

Default assessing risk of domination based on PFR %

Usually KQo in SB is an automatic fold against an EP raise.
The raiser's stats got me to thinking. He's 53% VPIP and 23% PFR after 45 hands. Would this be a hypothetically profitable call here? KJs or KQs would have been an automatic call in my opinion. Does his high % of preflop raising reduce my risk of domination sufficiently to call the 1 2/3 SB? Or should I still be hesitant to play a bloated pot out of position with an offsuit, possibly dominated hand ?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.40 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 folds, Button folds, BB calls.

Turn: (5.20 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: 6.20 BB
Old 03-18-2005, 08:00 PM

Default Re: assessing risk of domination based on PFR %

there is no hypothetical about it, assuming his stats are accurate after 45 hands (they aren't but they will be in the neighboorhood). put your chips into the pot
Old 03-18-2005, 08:03 PM

yes, this is call and no this is not a fold on the turn.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does his high % of preflop raising reduce my risk of domination sufficiently to call the 1 2/3 SB?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely - but what you're failing to take into account is the 2 players that each cold-called two behind him. To the first repliers that said "auto-call" I don't think it's as cut and dried as that w/o reads on those other two players.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does his high % of preflop raising reduce my risk of domination sufficiently to call the 1 2/3 SB?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely - but what you're failing to take into account is the 2 players that each cold-called two behind him. To the first repliers that said "auto-call" I don't think it's as cut and dried as that w/o reads on those other two players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. A lot of people just respond to frequent raisers by cold calling a lot, even with hands as strong as AK or QQ. Add that to the fact that my hand would prefer to play a smaller pot rather than a larger one, and my being first to act every round, and it's more marginal than you might think. To you guys who said "get your money in the pot," do you call here if the raiser is more legitimate? e.g. 20% PF, 8% PFR?