Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 10:17 PM

Default anyway to extract more?

Did I get maximum value here out of this bb special?

Absolute 3/6. All fold to sb, who raises. I call out of bb with 10d6h.

Flop is 10c 10h 7h.

SB bets. I call.

Turn is 6c. SB bets, I call.

River is Jc. SB checks, I bet.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:23 PM

Default Re: anyway to extract more?

I raise the flop, hell never believe you and may just call down with anything decent, and if he by some chance has a real hand, youll get good action. That and it gives me credibility when I raise the flop HU all the times I have nothing.

at the very least I prolly raise the turn, as I think in the long run it will get you more bets from getting called down, than you will from getting one more bluff bet out of him on the river after you call 2 streets.

possibly raise the turn - he may have paired the 7 and think you have a 6 (i assume he folded the river)

hrmm, raise the flop? your opponent will generally expect you to slowplay a ten, so fast playing might cause an aggro opponent to play back at you with a pocket pair or ace high. or am i outhinking myself here?
Old 11-26-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your opponent will generally expect you to slowplay a ten, so fast playing might cause an aggro opponent to play back at you with a pocket pair or ace high

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah that's the main reason why i love raising the flop.

he'll 3-bet a lot of pocket pairs, c/r the turn sometimes, call down or get retarded w/ A-high.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:31 PM

I actually think that the best approach might differ a little depending on the limits. At 5/10, I think most people would assume that I would not raise the flop with trips; but at lower limits, I think that a lot more people might well believe the flop raise means trips.

But in retrospect, I think that raising the flop probably would have been best.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that a lot more people might well believe the flop raise means trips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if thats true, at the lower limits they are still bad enough to call down, so it still has more value than just calling.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:59 PM

I think you need to raise the turn. If he's on a pure bluff he's gonna fold if he's picked up a draw he'll peel for one more bet
Old 11-27-2005, 02:09 AM

I think the whole flop raise/turn raise dilemma could be solved by table image. If you've been REALLY tight thus far in the session, waiting until the turn to raise might just look like a tricky bluff. If you've been REALLY loose, on the other hand, a flop raise might look fishy also.

Maybe I am thinking into this too much. If you don't have much of a table image, I don't mind raising the flop.

Actually, I have no preference. Disregard my post. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2005, 03:24 AM

I think that making money with these hands is difficult. You are not normally going to get much action when you have crippled the board, so your slowplay line is pretty good IMO. You can try and fast play this one and raise the flop, but then you aren't often going to get any real action on the turn where you really want it, and you open yourself to having him fold early. Why not let him stick around to improve his second best hand? I would vote for calling the flop and raising the turn. If he checks the turn then you weren't going to make any money off him anyways. If he bets the turn and folds to a raise then you would have made another BB at most from his river bluff. If he calls or raises the turn then you are off to the races. Waiting for the river is not good, unless he is aggressive and will normally bet until resistance is shown. Even so, you eliminate the chance of building a big pot by waiting to the river.

I think that no matter how youu play this, you can't be too hard on yourself if it doesn't build you a big pot. How often does he have anything on this board?

Dave