Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 11:53 AM

Default Fold or call?

Still relatively new to poker, so I'm learning. After looking at my past hands, one of the holes I found was holding on to TPTK even when it's clear that I'm beat. Trying to work on that, and then ran into this last night.

No real read on villian, have only played about 12 hands with him. Seems a little LAG, but not enough hands to really tell for sure.

PokerStars 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button <font color="#A500AF">(villian)</font> calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls, Button :<font color="#A500AF">(villian)</font> calls, SB calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP3 calls, villian calls, SB folds.

Turn: (6.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">villian raises</font>, Hero ??, MP3 folds.

With no raise preflop or flop, but a raise on the turn with a straight showing? I'm guessing he had A4,K4, or maybe connectors. Regardless, even if he has 2 pair, I'm toast. He could be bluffing, he does have position on me, but I dunno. I don't think I'm ahead at this point, it's only a question of how far behind I am.

So what do you do, call or fold?
Old 11-11-2005, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Fold or call?

I don't mind calling this one down because A) Its a decent pot, and B) you have no reads and youre up against a "potential" LAG. You'll gain some info regarding his PF standards, and whether or not hes capable of bluffing
Old 11-11-2005, 12:10 PM

You have to call, unless you have played with this player enough to know they only bet made hands. A lot of players are going to bet a scare card like that. You will win enough in this situation to be + EV to call down.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:12 PM

Call and check/call the river.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:47 PM

grunch...

he could have the straight, but these turn donks are usually two raggedy pair. You are not toast and have outs in the board pairing, or pairing your kicker. As the pot is paying you 8.75:1, and wanting to see villain's hand, I'd probably call, and the re-evaluate on the river.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:17 PM

Thanks guys.

So if he's on 2 pair, then I count 5 outs for myself (2A's, 3K's). Is that right? If so, that give slightly over 10:1 odds. With pot odds of 8.75:1, does this still justify the call? Especially considering that even if I hit an out, he may still have the straight in which case I'm drawing dead?

thanks again...
Old 11-11-2005, 04:19 PM

Absolutely call the turn. If you're behind, you could have lots of outs. You have 9 outs against A2, 6 outs against A3, and then you're in bad shape versus A4 or A5. The thing is, you might even be up against some crazy AQ. I call here and check/call the river like the fish I am. You'll get a read and win often enough to make it worthwhile.