Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Re: ethics of giving 2 weeks notice?

[ QUOTE ]
can you give the two weeks and offer to come back as a consultant to help transition your projects? a little back breaking, but it's win-win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially since they pay your more $ since they stop giving you benefits.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
can you give the two weeks and offer to come back as a consultant to help transition your projects? a little back breaking, but it's win-win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially since they pay your more $ since they stop giving you benefits.

[/ QUOTE ]

unfortunately, not an option.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:02 PM

Yeah, I've worked as a programmer for the last 4 years for a few different companies. Whenever I left each company they'd always ask me how long I could stay on, and whether I could get my work done on whatever project I was working on. One place even asked me if I could recommend a replacement. It was always very professional. They were smart enough to realize that if the other employees saw me being treated badly, the other employees would realize that they'd be treated the same way in the same circumstances. This isn't good for loyalty or morale.

I compare this to some of the sales jobs I had when I first left school. In one place I gave my two week's notice and offered to stay on longer if they wanted me to (my new job was only starting in a month). Instead, they marched me out the door an hour later. They gave me two weeks' severance, though, so it was win-win for me.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:24 PM

Provided nothing is stated in the company manual. Give as much notice as you want. If your worried about being booted once you announce your intentions, just give notice that final morning. Write up something ahead of time documenting the status of all your work. Its your BOSSES job to make sure his people are not irreplacable.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:35 PM

Do what is best for you. I also try to be decent by giving my former firm a month instead of a weak. they then told me to leave that friday (four days later) which totally [censored] me. I then got put in a little bit of debt. The business world knows little about ethics and loyalty so you owe them equally little.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:36 PM

Projects can be transitioned, no matter how difficult it seems. If they can't, that is not your fault. Your supervisor should be prepared for a situation where you end up in a car accident or win the lottery or something that would end your employment sonner than 2 weeks. I was in a simliar position about a month ago and took an internal reassignment due to someone else quitting. I had several long term projects where I was the exclusive knowledge owner but we managed to transition it all. The quality of work will drop in the short to mid term, but life goes on.

Anyway, you should give as much notice as possible in your situation but do nothing that will compromise your own interests. If you already know you will be leaving, you might as well spill the beans and start working on transistion activites. Also, I don't think you need to worry about refernces if you give two or more weeks and have been and continue to be professional for the rest of your tenure.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:05 PM

In your case, probably not. Give as little notice as you can without burning your bridges. Never burn the bridges behind you.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:20 AM

I'm in a bit of a strange position, actually. I have an excellent lead on a job, but it's not a done deal yet. If it comes through, I might be forced into a situation where I'll only be able to give 2 weeks.

Is anyone here suggesting that I tell them I intend on leaving before I'm secure in my next job? I wouldn't think so, but I thought I'd ask.

Marlow
Old 08-10-2005, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in a bit of a strange position, actually. I have an excellent lead on a job, but it's not a done deal yet. If it comes through, I might be forced into a situation where I'll only be able to give 2 weeks.

Is anyone here suggesting that I tell them I intend on leaving before I'm secure in my next job? I wouldn't think so, but I thought I'd ask.

Marlow

[/ QUOTE ]

No, there's no good reason for you to do this. If you don't get the other job and end up having to stay at your current one, your employer now thinks of you as having one foot out the door and no longer a "team player".

Only tell them about the other job if you have a concrete offer in place.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:35 AM

never tell them about the other job until you have a firm offer that you've accepted. Doing anything else is a good way to be unemployed.