Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 09-01-2005, 11:29 PM

Default Anouther quest/log type post

I am mainly, well almost exclusively, a semi-pro limit player. And like everyone else I started small, online and have been able to work my way up to the point that for the last few months I have been playing 50-100 to 150-300 online and live. However, about 3 weeks ago, like many of the other mid-high limit HE posters I hit a vicious down swing, losing about 53K. Since then, playing a bit smaller, but also many of the same games I had won back about ½ of that. However, after this last week losing about 15k, not that much but never the less, I realized that even if I am currently good enough to beat the games, my game and skills are stagnating. I am not playing as well as I should and can, I have gotten lazy, it is the same old story all over again. I still play but I don’t study of learn. So, obviously I need to remedy this, and to that end I am going to switch form Limit HE to NLHE.
My idea is to post a journal; similar to the one bruiser posted, but more frequently, every Wednesday night or Thursday morning, when my week ends. I do have a bit of NL experience so I am not going to start at the lowest limit but I will start at 3-6NL. Honestly, even that hurts the ego, even more so posting this.
So, here are my goals,
A) post a lot of hands, like at least a couple a day.
B) Play 1000 hands a day playing 3 tables to start, 4 after I get the hang of it.
C) Make it to 25-50 NL by Jan 1.
I’ll start with 12,000 I have plenty more, obviously, but I want to move up based on my winning in NLHE, rather than the BR I have built playing limit. So, I am not totally sure how nl win rates work but my impression is that a good wr is about 10-15 Big Blinds per 100. Is that correct? Working under that assumption, my plan is to play 3-6 NL for about 1 month or 30K hands. At 10 BB per hundred that is 600 a day or about 18K for the month. If I make 18K before the end of the month I will move up, if it takes longer it takes longer.
So, when I get to 30K, about Oct 1., I will move to 5-10 NL which I will play till I get to 60K, at which point I will move to 10-20NL. Hopefully, that will take about a month or till Nov. 1. I figure that a 125K br should be enough at 25-50 NL. So, I will have about 2 months to make 65K. At 10-20, in 1000 hands per day, you only need a win rate of just over 5BB/100 to make that, so that should not be too hard, hopefully.
So that is my plan. Does it sound ok, any glaring flaws?
O, also an aside, I think that with some exceptions, NL HE is becoming the biggest game, the highest limits, online and live, which is just one more reason to learn it.
Dave
Old 09-01-2005, 11:38 PM

Default Re: Anouther quest/log type post

You would do yourself a favor to play less and study more in the beginning. Thousands of threads have asked who is good/bad what threads are good/bad. Search Search Search. Read the entire archives, etc. This will help you much more so than learning. I wouldn't play 3 tables to start. I would get basics down. It's all great in theory, but you can't expect to put up those numbers for a while. I couldn't sit down at 15/30 and win 2bb/100 even though I have the roll. Get what I'm saying? This game is not as easy as it looks. I've been playing for a little more than a year and still make countless expensive mistakes. The list goes on and on. Get my point?

Edit: PS maybe we can work something out since we live near each other and I want to learn limit. PM me if this interests you.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will have about 2 months to make 65K. At 10-20, in 1000 hands per day, you only need a win rate of just over 5BB/100 to make that, so that should not be too hard, hopefully.

[/ QUOTE ]

What happens if in that first week you drop $10K+. . .how are you going to handle that?
Old 09-02-2005, 12:21 AM

good to see you being optimistic.

I have some doubts on your chances of completing this quest as planned, but with dicipline, effort, and being open to peer feedbacks, I think you have a shot at it. Even if it might take a bit longer than your planned dates.

gl
Old 09-02-2005, 12:25 AM

I just think people who have these visions of granduer underestimate the mental toll that losing $10K in a day and the effects of that on your play. . . Especially if you aren't a NL regular, you may have trouble avoiding tilt.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:48 AM

I a.m not sure if you read the begining of my post but I have been playing ep100 - 200 to 150 - 300 to even a little 300 - 600 limit hold'em. so while there be many challanges losing 10k in a day will not phase me. I have won or lost 20k in day a couple times. so like I said losing 10k sucks but I mean it is not going to tilt or rattle me.
dave
Old 09-02-2005, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a good wr is about 10-15 Big Blinds per 100. Is that correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think thats a little high.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:50 AM

then what is a good to ave wr? in limit, at the higher limits, 1.5-2 bb/100 is great, at lower limits it is mediocre. what are the nl equivlents?
Old 09-02-2005, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its not; that is 5-7.5PTBB/100

some people on this board make over 8
Old 09-02-2005, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its not; that is 5-7.5PTBB/100

some people on this board make over 8

[/ QUOTE ]

my bad i thought he meant 10-15 PTBB/100