Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 08-28-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Making more money from poker then I will ever make from a real job

This annoys me very much. First let me say that i'm not from USA, so im honest when I say I can never make good money from a regular job.

My mother and father who are highly educated make both aprox $3.5k/month, and that's over twice the avg. payment here.

Now me who just had the 19th birthday have made to save $50k(money that I have in bank account top of that I have poker roll of over $20k) in past year from online poker, I dont talk with my parents about money because i feel shame. But they know I have made a decent amount and keep saying me that I must be carefull.
My friends are all broke(excluded couple who play poker, and make even more then I do) and they have to think daily what they can buy and if they can eat out, magazines are full of students writing how hard it's live with the less then $500 that goverment gives them monthly.

Im happy with the current situation and I have no plans of going pro poker player, since it's obvious this wont last long. But im very worried about the future, because I wont make more then $10/hour from a real job even with a decent education. I have the feeling that it will be hard to motivate myself, best solution offcourse would be if I could make so much money from poker that when it dries up I can do whatever real work I want and live without worrying my lifestyle suffering big time.

Due all that im actually holding back a bit and not playing as much as I would like to - sick I know.

I dont really know what kind of advice im looking for but if anyone has been in a similiar situation opinions and thoughts are welcome.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Making more money from poker then I will ever make from a real job

I was a broke college student at 19. It sucks. Be happy.

With all that money in the bank, you have to have options. You could go to another country, maybe to attend school. Who knows, you might want to stay.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:19 PM

look into income generating assets and not savings if you want to be financially secure in the future if poker dries up.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:44 PM

poker will be a profitable game forever. I dont think online poker is gonna go away either.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:24 PM

just because you are a foreigner doesnt mean that you arent in the same boat that alot of poker players are in. im an american myself but have no college education. if i fail at poker or it dries up i have no satisfactory job options unless i want to make $15/hr. i feel extremely confident in my abilities to provide a living for myself even if somehow poker dropped off the face of the planet. however, i do realize that poker is a poor long-term plan, at least for myself. my recommendation to you is to spend your time learning about how to create profitable passive income. if youre like me in that you likely wont have opportunities to make 100k/yr from working a job, this is our only option, albeit a really, really good one.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:26 PM

same situation around here..Im from Chile, where are u from??
EDIT: I only beat the 22s, but its enough to make a confortable living.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:13 PM

Another alternative is to start a business. In the U.S., it's pretty easy. I don't know the situation in the OP's country.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:31 PM

Yes, working your ass off at poker for a few years, and then moving the money into some sort of other business venture is a reasonable option for any intelligent person.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:32 PM

go to school, get an education..

you could invest that money in mutual funds.. its enough that you should get nice profits.. 50k.. woww
Old 08-28-2005, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
same situation around here..Im from Chile, where are u from??
EDIT: I only beat the 22s, but its enough to make a confortable living.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why wont you move out of your parents house and then you tell me what a comfortable living is...