Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 04:58 AM

Default Re: Anouther quest/log type post

You're talking about at least 5 hours of poker every day for three months. No breaks, no weekends off.

Sounds rather grueling.

As for the number figures, you're describing the higher end of win rates. Based on your success in the nosebleed limit games, I have no doubt you'll end up with a positive win rate, but there are very few players making 10-15/100.

(P.S. Semi-pro my ass.)
Old 09-02-2005, 11:33 AM

Dave, i don't see why you don't just tough out it out at some of the lower limit games online while learning NL. I don't see how taking on a new game where you have much less experience after a massive downswing is good for you.

I hope you suceed in your gaols, but i think it's ambitious to think you can just move up the ladder like that without taking more time to adapt to better competition. You do realize playing the 25-50 game, you can easily drop 50k in one night? It wouldn't even be a bad downswing, it would just be a bad night.

Gabe
Old 09-02-2005, 01:07 PM

Missed those Sept 1 hand posts!
Old 09-02-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Missed those Sept 1 hand posts!

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you mean?
Old 09-02-2005, 04:46 PM

please post. i would like to know how real players do it.

i had a really long break even streak at 15/30 limit, and so decided to try nl. i had no clue, and thought the 10/20 nl was the same level as the 15/30 limit, and so jumped in. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] i have not lost all of my money yet. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-02-2005, 05:10 PM

sorry i know, i was just getting back from fl and had not had a chance to play. i will post hands tonight.
dave
Old 09-02-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and thought the 10/20 nl was the same level as the 15/30 limit, and so jumped in

[/ QUOTE ]

I think many limit players would be insulted hearing that 15/30 is comparable but probably little lower than 3-6NL...
Old 09-02-2005, 05:22 PM

ok first, play nl may not be the best thing, initally for my wr, i could, i would assume make much more playing 20-40 or 30-60 or whatever online. however, i feel totally stagnent as a player i am not learning anything new, i am not getting better. in fact i am not sure but i could easily be getting worse and sloppier. and that is not good. further, my goal is to be good enough and have the br to play big, maybe not 4-8k big but like a 400-800 regualr. so i have to get real good and do anything i can to get better. so this is what i think is best for me in the long run.
finally, i want to get to where i can play 25-50 by jan 1. i am not saying that by jan 1 i want to play the 25-50 game exclusivly, just where i can take shots and play when it is good, and have the br to step up more permenatly if i want to.
dave
Old 09-02-2005, 05:24 PM

I would just like to say that after reading your post, I think you can come close to your goal. Limit swings are nuts and you seem to handle them well. Also, you seem to be rolled properly and have little aversion to risk. I think with time you will be able to beat most games. I've played and play pretty high live, yet I'm often lost when I see the ridiculous all-in fests in the 50-100 and the like - Just a crazy fing game. That game makes Commerce look like the Florida Hard Rock, and I don't know how you prepare for madness like that.

Good Luck.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:36 PM

i am glad that i was too new to no limit, and not smart enough to know the equivalent levels between limit an nl.

so can i assume that the 10/20 nl is about the same as 50/100 limit or a bit higher?

i am sure that i am the fish at 10/20 no limit, but strangely feel comfortable playing it now.

gotta play with the best to learn, and i have learned a lot very quickly. glad to say that i still have money in my bankroll, and know that i am smart enough to know that i cannot beat the game yet [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

maybe some day.