Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 02:02 AM

Default Re: Motivation

I only play like 10K a month on average. I could be making way more, but why play in the morning when no fish are on? Also, when you have a lot of money from playing, there is no real desire to play more when you have all the money you need and could be spending it on fun things to do instead of sitting in front of a computer.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:08 AM

The worst part is that whenever I have something unpleasant to do (playing poker, studying), I seize up and procrastinate hardcore. Then I manage to get nothing done at all and I have this bad feeling (regret or shame maybe) and I feel awful. I totally need Dr. Phil.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:14 AM

i think many also struggle with having the motivation to get in a certain amount of hands or hours but you seem to not enjoy poker at all other than as a way to make money and i think thats your major problem.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:23 AM

The fundamental problem I have (and I've made a lot of money too) is that losing hurts far more than winning feels good.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker is boring when you just open party and load 4 tables, but if you only play when specific fish play, it's much more enjoyable

[/ QUOTE ]

you're one mean dude

fim
Old 08-15-2005, 02:52 AM

do you own a house outright? do you want to?

there's my motivation.

fim
Old 08-15-2005, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If online poker stays around like this for 5 years, I may be playing something absurd like 500/1000 NL

[/ QUOTE ]

no, no you won't.

fim
Old 08-15-2005, 07:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In the poll we had of posters' ages, there were a lot of people under 25. I'm running really well at 5/10, and I'm making way too much money for a 20-year old kid. The problem I have is playing enough. The avatar open challenge on the general board does nothing to me; I don't care in the slightest. I offered to buy about a dozen friends dinner for every month I miss 40k hands; I made it in May and failed in June and July, and am way behind pace in August.

How do other young guns motivate themselves? I have tuition and living expenses for the rest of undergrad safely stored away, so I don't have an immediate need for money. It seems poker is a lot like studying for me, but I don't have an exam tomorrow, so I procrastinate instead.

I realize that online poker won't be around in its current form forever, so it would be a good idea to make as much as possible this summer while I have nothing else to do, but I find it really hard to put in the hours. Anyone else in a similar situation?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm in such situation as you- I dont have motivation.Study, study, study and not a lot playing. I dont know how can I change it. Now I'm at level, when I wanna to start playing some live tourneys.May be my motivation will be higher there.Who knows?But I'm now 23 years old, not 20, but it's almost the same...
Old 08-15-2005, 07:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just try to always get your bankroll to play the next limits and then try to beat that game. I'm a pretty competive person by nature so a new challenge usually does it for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Now I'm playing at highest availaible level nl2k at party.And dont have much motivation now.I understand that there are something like nl5k or 10k at another sites, but games there are not always availaible. As I wrote at previous post, may be live tourneys like EPT will up my motivation. I hope so [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2005, 07:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are living comfortably, then the only reason to keep playing more is personal enjoyment, or obviously to plan for your future retirement/investments so you can come back here and post about ducks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really nice post. I agree with you totally [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]