Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-30-2002, 12:17 AM

Default My little sister could have played this one better 6-handed

Stumbled from my room after a nice 3 hours of sleep from the previous nights 14 hour session, and found myself in a 6-handed 10-20 game with 4 good players, one fish, two fish if you count me.

I was not in the mood to play short or lose money but wanted to get the game going. So the best player I know limps UTG, I find KsJs in UTG+1, and limp in cursing myself for not raising. Fishy limps behind me. Blinds come along too.

Flop comes 10sQsQd, giving me an open ended str8 flush draw. SB checks, BB bets, UTG calls. I just call. Fishy folds. SB folds. Turn is the 3h. It gets checked around. River is Jc. BB bets, UTG calls, I make a crying call.

How's about that I think I blew it on every street. How would you guys have played it? As for the results, I won the pot with over 20 outs against the BB 10-Jo. UTG didn't show.

Thanks,

Old 12-30-2002, 12:32 AM

Default Re: My little sister could have played this one better 6-handed

Limp, call, check, call.

It's almost impossible that any hand played like that could be considered well played.
Old 12-30-2002, 01:59 AM

"Limp, call, check, call.
It's almost impossible that any hand played like that could be considered well played."

it's almost impossible that a generalization like this could be made about hold em and be correct.

Old 12-30-2002, 03:13 PM

It's almost unbelievable how many nits pick on hyperbole and tiny errors.

Generalizations are useful for those of us who aren't perfect. The word "almost" was included... Sometimes I think you guys just post to get your ranking up to "addict", while many of us are still "journeymen" despite posting here for four years. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The above is all without malice.
Old 12-30-2002, 01:57 AM

i was reading your post and i kept waiting for the part where you played it really bad.

i think a fold on the river definitely wouldve been really bad and that a value raise on the river would have been reasonable. raising preflop would have been good but calling is okay too sometimes and the same goes for the flop. going for a checkraise on the turn wouldve also been a swell play and i assume that's what you had in mind when you checked.

i guess your worst play was playing after only 3 hours sleep. as for the hand you played it fine.
Old 12-30-2002, 03:09 AM

Well I'm sure you realize the benefits of raising with this hand preflop in a short handed game so I won't get into that. I think you blew your load when you saw the massive draw you had on the flop and got a little gunshy. I think this hand needs to be pumped like there's no tomorrow. You left a few bets on the table but at least you realize that and can learn from it.

PokerPrince
Old 12-30-2002, 03:32 AM

I think while the preflop and flop play is debatable, the only big mistake was not betting the turn.

Even though jamming the flop would be the standard play with such a big draw, I think calling the flop with the plan of raising any turn is reasonable. Maybe not the best play, but reasonable. Against some opponents, you may have a better chance to win unimproved that way. I'd be more likely to put an opponent on trip Q's if he called that flop then raised a blank on the turn than if he raised the flop.

Letting the turn get checked around is a huge mistake, in my opinion.
Old 12-30-2002, 01:16 PM

I appreciate the responses. I think pre-flop and turn were definitely the worst parts that I played. I had never played with the BB before and felt a checkraise coming. But I shouldn't be playing with such fear. If he indeed does have a hand like Q10 or Q3, I'm drawing to 2 outs. Against a good queen a lot of my outs are negligible as well.

As far as a value raise on the river isn't this a clear case of the only person who can call you is someone who can beat you?

Thanks,

Old 12-30-2002, 03:26 PM

i dont think you played it that bad but i wouldve bet the turn when everybody checked to me.

also on the flop i think i wouldve raised to see whats going on, and then mightve checked the turn.
Old 12-30-2002, 06:31 PM

If you were planning on check raising the turn, and you just got unlucky that no one bet, then I dont think you really played you hand poorly. If you were just going to call an turn bet, then I'd say this wasnt the way to play it. I think, its either check raise the flop and build a big pot, or take a stab at winning the pot on the turn with a check raise. I guess the moral of this story is, dont play short handed unless your ready to play fast, and are in the mood to put your money in the middle.