Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 11:36 AM

Default When they\'re gunning for you...

I'm fortunate to have come out on top the first couple months into hosting a tournament. I have another this coming Monday, which is all coworkers or longtime friends. We're all a fairly competetive group, where bragging rights mean a LOT.

A few guys have said they don't care if they win or not, just as long as they knock me out. Myself, I love it. But, should I tighten up my game? The thought being they will play prime hands aggressively. Or, should I just keep on playing with what's worked so far?

Ahhh but how sweet victory will be with a threepeat. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2005, 12:29 PM

Default Re: When they\'re gunning for you...

I think changing anything about your game is going to be a big mistake. Obviously what you are doing is working very well...so keep doing it. What there comments probably mean is that they will stay in any hand with you, even if you are raising, in hopes they get lucky and bust you out. They will probably call you down with sh!t, just to hope they get get a miraccle river. This is actually good for you, because if you are playing correctly, you will always have the statistical edge. If they do get lucky, hey, thats just poker. At least you won two in a row.

If you are that worried, maybe tighten up a LITTLE bit early in the game, and don't bluff as much as you might, because your bluffs are more likely to be called. But if you have a strong hand, don't sit on your hands because you are worried. Later in the game though, you cannot afford to be very tight no matter what you are worried about, as that is a recipe for busting out.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Re: When they\'re gunning for you...

Sometimes it's just head games - they really don't do anything different. Best way to know is to feel it out a little when it won't get you into any real trouble. Are they really gunning or just talking smack?

If they are gunning for you then you want to avoid bluffs and make them pay off the draws for a little higher price per street than you normally would. That way you are using their "strategy" against them.

OTOH, if you are in between two guys who are both attacking you then you're going to have to tread lightly as you could get caught in a crossfire. That would be my only concern here.