Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 12:17 PM

Default Finance a home game\'s new table? Opinions?

I have a home game I've been attending for some time now. We currently play on a normal table, which is something I'm perfectly fine with. I've been hearing that the host wants to buy a better table, with felt. What's concerning me is that he wants all of us to pitch in for it - this is somewhat unnerving though. It would be one thing if I cared about the table on which we played. But I don't. For those of you that host here (and I know there are quite a few of you out there) did you/would you do this kind of thing?

Maybe if I could see this from the host's point of view, I could be convinced...

-Alpha
Old 03-16-2005, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Finance a home game\'s new table? Opinions?

I have built my own table at my own cost. I can see the point of view that your host has, in particular if you have a very regular group that has a decent history. He may feel that since everyone would benefit, everyoe should chip in. I personally, just would not want to deal with any "who gets the table" issues if the group breaks up or if the host decides to relocate.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:26 PM

I am one of 4 hosts for our weekly game. I was the first to build a holdem table from our group (Everyone has on now) I did this out of my pocket because I wanted to have it. I did not ask for money from any of our group. If people wanted to donate to help out that would be fine, but I do not think it is right to ask for money for it.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:28 PM

I would not do it and I did not do it.

I built my own tables. I purchased my own chips and cards because I wanted to have good stuff at my house and provide a good poker game (with good gear) for the people who come to my game.

We used to rotate between peoples houses that play but now we just always play at my place (which is something that I like more and more).
Old 03-16-2005, 12:29 PM

I guess that's my second issue then. Because we've gone from dealers' choice to exclusively holdem tournaments, which I'm not so good at. So I'm already looking at this from a "at some point in the future, if they don't change, I can't go back" angle. This may just be icing on the cake.

The idea has been brought up that we have a tournament for the table. I've toyed around with it in my mind so far, but it's odd, because since we don't have games where I am, and I were to decide to stop coming, the table would still have to live over at the host's house. Lots of really odd factors there as well.

-Alpha
Old 03-16-2005, 12:48 PM

Ditto Spicey ,I think that if the host wants to upgrade the table , thats his decision and should not expect anyone else to contribute . I built a table , supply decent chips and good cards to the game I host because I want to have the best game experience that I can , as long as the players appreciate the time and money that goes into hosting a game , I'm happy with that. On the other hand its not a charity , so I expect everyone to contribute for any food/snacks , and before I got some KEMs the winner of the tourney would usually throw a couple of bucks my way to buy cards.( We would go through 2-3 decks every time , ie creased and bent cards)
Old 03-16-2005, 12:58 PM

Yep. That’s it exactly Rockwhack, I want to provide the best poker experience that I can.

Another thing that I do is when I invite people I say that it is a pot luck so bring a dish that everyone can snack on. I get dishes from veggie trays to steaks for everyone. I usually provide some kind of small dish and pop and everyone else brings enough food to feed about 100 people (where there are usually just about 20).

I think that is everyone brings some sort of food item that is payment enough for the cost that I have put out for my KEM’s, Copag’s, Chipco’s and custom build tables.

If I were having to cook all the food and also provide all the stuff for the game I would probably not have them as often. Even if I win the tournament it would probably not cover the cost of all the food and drink if other people didn’t bring something.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:12 PM

Sounds like you've already made your decision Alpha.

In the group I play with we never play at my house - my fiancee wouldn't allow it and we don't have the room anyway. So we play at one guy's house almost exclusively. If he told us he wanted to buy or build a table, and "could we pitch in?", I would. But that's b/c we'll never play at my place and I know I'll continue to use his house for my poker games for some time. If he said "I'm getting a new table and you each owe me XXX for it," well, I'd have to find a new game.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:50 PM

Sticky situation. I'm having a table built right now (should be ready for poker night this Saturday) and I'm paying 100% of the cost. All of my chips and accessories I have paid for. I considered taking some money for the table and a few guys offered to chip in but in the end I guess I don't want anyone to feel like they "own" a piece of the table, chips, etc...

I don't want to deal with a situation where somone feels they're entitled to my poker stuff (table, chips, racks, etc...) on a night when they want to play but I'm not able.

I do participate in another home game where the host has the same sportsmart/sportsauthority Texas hold 'em table that I currently use and was asking for the guys to chip in, but I told him I'm sorry but I've got my own home game to support and he understood.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:38 PM

I just had a new table built, being delivered today! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Nobody will be asked to contribute. My crowd would probably point and laugh as they walk out if I asked them to help pay for equipment.

One thing I did a while back when I wanted help with funding for my table -- Offer to sell people spots at the table, maybe $20 or so. That way if they own a spot at the table, if they show up to a full game, they have the right to bump someone out of their spot. Also, they can chose to buy a spot directly after the host if they always want to sit there, etc. I sold 3 spots and the people that paid for them thought it was well worth it to show up late and bump someone.

Obviously, when I moved, I get to keep the table. No refunds! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]