Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2005, 08:24 PM

Default comments and critiques on my chip label

Here is the first version of my custom chip label and I just wanted to get your opinions.
The saying on the chip is "Poker on a Bender" I realize the "on a" is very hard to read and that will be changed. I also am going to remove one of the denominations as to not confuse some people into thinking this chip is 55 instead of 5.

Old 03-01-2005, 08:35 PM

Default Re: comments and critiques on my chip label

Very nice. I agree, "$ 5" is better than "5 5".

Notice that you have FOUR colors here. Light orange, dark orange, white, and black. Therefore there's no excuse for your text to merge into the background. (You shouldn't need captions explaining the "on a". [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) Have the text fade to white or black in that spot, so you can see it.

What chips are you looking at? I'd seriously consider different color labels for each chips; maybe match the edge-spots.

What will you do when the denomination is double-digit? What about $5,000.00? (Ok, maybe you don't need cents. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

Looks good. Keep posting updates here, and we can rip apart all your hard work. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
-Sam
Old 03-01-2005, 09:28 PM

Looks DAMN good. Love the color fade and think a color match for the different denom chips is a great idea, same with a simple "$5".
Old 03-01-2005, 09:48 PM

That's a great looking design.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:15 AM

Nicely done! I can't decide if the horse should be a different color to stand out more from the chip or not (example- a black-gray horse here, this horse on the black chip). Will each color have a matching horse? I'd like to see black and purple especially.

If you feel you need denominations (if you use non-standard colors, you probably will) you're right about only having one number, not two.

I agree with the other poster about using the colors to contrast the lettering from the background. Also, I would just shift the words "on a" a little to accomodate the design- I don't think the assymetrical result will be too bad? Don't reduce the size of the stallion at all.

Who did the design?
Old 03-02-2005, 10:40 AM

Fantastic chip. A few very minor tweaks covered above. Great job. I'm sure you'll love the final product.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:19 PM

My first thought was, what's wrong with the stallion's leg? It looks like his front left leg (the one stepping out of the frame) is coming out of his rear left leg. There's something about the proportions or perspective that's off in my head and I can't stop seeing it like that. Does anyone else see this?

I like the theme and colors though.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My first thought was, what's wrong with the stallion's leg? It looks like his front left leg (the one stepping out of the frame) is coming out of his rear left leg. There's something about the proportions or perspective that's off in my head and I can't stop seeing it like that. Does anyone else see this?

I like the theme and colors though.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL... I didn't notcie that at first but I see what you're talking about... it looks like it's because the fore leg on the right isn't very distinguishable when it joins the body... kind of merges into the hind leg [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I like the design also... pretty cool. Needs a little tweaking and looks like you've got some good suggestions so far. I look forward to seeing the other chip designs.

- Fins
Old 03-02-2005, 09:54 PM

Link changed on my first pic. Also the next two themes address the words being too small and the denomination issue, but I still am not happy with them.

Old 03-03-2005, 01:54 AM

Nice. I still have a few points, though.

-I liked the block font when the letters were small, but when the letters are so big, it looks crude. (This might not be the case when the whole thing is 1".) Instead of changing the font, I'd just make the letters smaller.

-You need the color-scheme to be dark-on-light, not light-on-dark. The inverted picture (blue) looks too much like you inverted it, and not like it's a blue horse. The picture was drawn with shadows; you can't make the shadows lighter blue.

-I really want to be able to see the front hoof. (It's friggin RUNNING IN FIRE!! Don't block the part where it's running in fire.) I don't think you should block with the denom.

-The "on a" is still pretty hidden. I can understand it after you tell me, but only people who already know what it says will be able to read it.

-Right now your denom font is drastically different from your text font. Is this on purpose?

Keep up the good work. The picture is DEFINITELY worthy of a chip-set, and you're making progress.
-Sam