Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2005, 12:54 AM

Default UGH

Cross post from SS forum, I just need someone to lay it on me and set me straight

Home game 25$ buy in .25/.50 blinds. 5 handed

UTG
CO (~35)
Button
SB
Hero (BB) (~27)

Dealt to Hero: (Ks 9s)
Pre-flop: UTG Folds, CO calls .50, button calls .50, SB folds, BB checks

Pot total: 1.75

Flop: Kc 4s Qs
Hero bets 2$, CO calls Button folds

Pot total: 5.75

Turn: Kd
Hero Bets 3$ Villian raises to 8$, Hero calls

River: Ac
Hero checks, Villian goes all in, Hero calls (~$17)

Results in white:
Villian had K4, full house, kings full of fours

Notes: Strong reads on villian, a laggy player that will bluff more than usual. Will play any 2 suited cards, raise with nothing often. Betting patterns of hand indicated to me that he had king lower kicker. He would raise with KT and above, so I was pretty sure I had the kicker war won. Advice on how not to lose my stack, and please, yell away at me.

I have been on a downswing as of late, and since it is a home game the results feel magnified. I have really been off MY game lately, losing to players that I KNOW I should beat. My cards have been subpar and hands that are winners are just losing to other hands. I need some encouragement and someone to set me straight. Thanks A lot
Old 06-04-2005, 09:19 AM

Default Re: UGH

Your read would indicate he may not have AK, KQ, QQ, or AA. However, what I would be watching for would be 44 and K4. These are hands that would not be raised, but probably would always be limped in at these stakes. Of the hands that could beat you, I would be wary of these two.

The raise on the turn would raise an eyebrow (you put him on K with lower kicker). Depending on how well you could read this guy, the all-in on the river could be indicative. Even if he had a K with lower kicker, any sized bet from you would probably have been called, but I would have put out a bet that would at least indicate if he a hand or not ($5). You would probably be nearly pot committed if he went all in at that point, but at least you would be able to get a better read.

I know that trip K's are hard to lay down, but unless you are holding pockets, they are very dangerous since there are many hands that could beat you.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:42 AM

Your check to the Ace obviously could have invited a bluff, if this guy didn't have a hand. But does he ever bluff all-in?
Unfortunately, there was no bet from you that could have taken him off that hand - and even worse, it was tough for you to get away from.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:56 AM

Jeez.. not sure you can get away from this hand.

I think the call of the $2 on the flop puts him on either a Q, K or flush draw. On the turn, I might have made a bigger bet (say, like pot-sized) just to be sure. The flush and Q will probably go away (or just call, maybe)... but if he reraises, you most certainly put him on a K.

But by then, I think you're going to get all your money in the pot, no matter what (unless his reraise is all-in...and then you may believe you are out-kicked). But, if you can put him on 44 or K4, and lay down your trips, then you are a better man than me.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:40 PM

I can't see how you'd not lose your stack here. I'd be more likely to push on the turn in response to his raise -- I'd put him on a K and think I'm head, and if he has a better kicker, I still have a ton of outs (any 4, 9, Q, or spade). As it turns out, you only had 8 outs on the river, but who knew.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:38 PM

Once that A comes out there is no kicker fight. Both of the top kickers are on the board. Since he's LAG and could play like this with Kx, I go broke here unless he flat shows me his boat.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:39 PM

I'd have played trhe same, I probably would've been all in the turn actually. Either way, you were stuck with that hand and I can't imagine too many people that would be able to lay it down.

Good luck,
Matt
Old 06-07-2005, 05:48 AM

Yea,I agree with the other guys. That's a rough one to throw away, especially when you have a pretty decent read.

I feel your pain though a couple months back my A's over 9's got taken down by quad-9's for my stack.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd have played trhe same, I probably would've been all in the turn actually. Either way, you were stuck with that hand and I can't imagine too many people that would be able to lay it down.

Good luck,
Matt

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-07-2005, 11:14 AM

Does your copy of a post with no comment mean that you agree?

I do as well- unless you can read that he caught his kicker, you're stuck. I would have raised on the turn as well.