Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2005, 10:30 PM

Default (22) How do you play draws in early levels?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (7 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG (t1000)
MP1 (t745)
MP2 (t890)
CO (t715)
Button (t1420)
SB (t2505)
Hero (t725)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls t30, Button calls t30, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t120) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets t75</font>, Button folds, SB folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t195

I have recently become extremly tight post flop from the blinds in the early levels and was wondering how other pwople play draws with 12 or more outs from the blinds?
Old 10-29-2005, 10:34 PM

Default Re: (22) How do you play draws in early levels?

I'd probably fold here also, mainly because he has position on you. With top or middle pair or a stronger flushdraw, I like raising.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:38 PM

I hate folding. You have the nine flush outs, two 6 outs, and three 3 outs. 14 total. That's a little over 50% to hit one of those outs by the river. Your pot odds are good. I'd call and see what happens on the turn.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:46 PM

I would bet this flop 100% of the time.

edit: CO could be betting so many hands you already beat. (any 7, for example).
Old 10-29-2005, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate folding. You have the nine flush outs, two 6 outs, and three 3 outs. 14 total. That's a little over 50% to hit one of those outs by the river. Your pot odds are good. I'd call and see what happens on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]i disagree, you have worst pair, no kicker, likely could be up against a hand such as JTd in which case you would be getting your chips in with the worst of it. If he has a hand such as 67d or A6d then by all means, but I lean towards a fold here.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]i disagree, you have worst pair, no kicker, likely could be up against a hand such as JTd in which case you would be getting your chips in with the worst of it. If he has a hand such as 67d or A6d then by all means, but I lean towards a fold here.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not about who currently has the best hand. It's about pot odds. Elementary poker theory.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does OP have to be up against a hand like that? thats an extremely narrow range for a limped pot, with a CO betting after 2 checks. He could have Ace high and think his hand is best, he could just be trying to pick up chips. Which is why i think leading the flop is by far the best option.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:59 PM

you don't have odds to draw if the hand you do in fact draw to is no good. elementary poker theory.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:03 PM

Why would his hand not be good? It's not the nuts, but it's damn strong. You can't possibly tell me that you put the villian on the range of JTd. And that's it. Your draw often enough strong enough to make this an easy call given the odds.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:11 PM

So what do you do when the turn is a blank. You are first to act. If you check and he once again don't give you the odds to draw, do you call?

Drawing hand bleed chips in the earlier levels and the implied odds aren't all that great.