Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2004, 07:52 PM

Default What to do with period of cold cards?

I am a true student of the game and have been floating between 3/6 and 6/12 (depending on my bankroll) for years. Not a day goes by that I am not playing in a card room or online, or reading about Hold 'Em. However, I have yet to find a remedy for when I have a long run of cold cards and/or bad beats. This week I had three straight sessions where the cards were cold. During the last session I played pretty tight, and sure enough I went almost 4 hours without winning a single pot. I simply was not catching any cards. Any advice on what I should do? If after two or three hours of cold cards, should I call it a night. I always feel that I should stick it out because statistically it has to turn around. This philosophy cost me $870 in my last three sessions. Can anyone help?
Old 05-22-2004, 08:06 PM

Default Re: What to do with period of cold cards?

You should stick it out if you feel like playing and if you are a proven winner in the game. However, whenever one has large losing streaks it is always best to examine your play. It is very possible that you are currently not a winner in these games, or that you EV may be very small, causing large fluctuations.

But anyways $870 is 145 BB. Its reasonable, although not highly likely, for even an expert player to experience that sort of downswing sometimes.

There is a lot of psychology involved in these skids, and only the best and most experienced of us can ignore these and still play great poker. Most of us need to take breaks. And study.

Post some hands,
Baron
Old 05-22-2004, 08:09 PM

Welcome to the boards!

There is nothing you can do about cold cards, it happens, if it starts to affect you're play then take a break. If you can still play your same game then just keep playing. But if you're going 4 hours with out dragging a single pot, I think you're playing WAAAY to tight (unless you're talking about a live game, but even then thats a long time). Thats like over 300 hands online and 120 hands live.

I suggest you pick up a copy of "zen and the art of poker" as it could really help you're game out during times like these
Old 05-23-2004, 12:38 AM

Study your opponents and work on hand reading....plenty to keep you occupied there.

Allan
Old 05-23-2004, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any advice on what I should do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Play exactly as you would if everything were going like normal.

-EV decisions as a result of altering one's play in response to a streak of cold cards contributes to 100% of disastrous downswings. I don't think anyone can disagree.
Old 05-23-2004, 02:37 AM

Here are four very important words for you:

It's all one session.

Your entire life is one giant session of poker with lots of breaks. How you've been running doesn't matter. Your expectation for your next hour of play is the same whether it comes right now or in a month.

Of course, that assumes that you are still playing your best game. If you feel your play slipping because you're frustrated about the cards, you should definitely quit and go back to fight another day.
Old 05-23-2004, 05:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However, I have yet to find a remedy for when I have a long run of cold cards and/or bad beats. Any advice on what I should do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice two part article by Alan Schoonmaker in Cardplayer...worth a read

Running Bad or Playing Badly? - Part 1

Running Bad or Playing Badly? - Part 2

Doc JS
Old 05-23-2004, 06:06 AM

Cold cards for 3 sessions is nothing. A 145BB losing streak sucks tho. In my first 2500 hands at 5/10, im down 80BB. It sucks.