Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2005, 09:30 AM

Default Re: Why Geniuses Don\'t Make Money

Am I? Suppose it was determined that an asteroid would destroy the earth in twenty years and that the only people who could work on saving us is the present sophomore class of Bronx High School of Science or the entire contingent Of
Enlish Literature Phds in the US. Who would you pick?(Assume both groups could read any books but not seek out others advice, only hire laborors to follow their instructions.)

I do understand that my original statement could be technically wrong given the numbers involved. The smartest Phd in English Lit who ever lived might, be smarter than the dumbest student at Bronx. But being from England you might not know that the high school I picked is the toughest in the US. The students there are significantly smarter than the average science major at MIT.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I? Suppose it was determined that an asteroid would destroy the earth in twenty years and that the only people who could work on saving us is the present sophomore class of Bronx High School of Science or the entire contingent Of
Enlish Literature Phds in the US. Who would you pick?(Assume both groups could read any books but not seek out others advice, only hire laborors to follow their instructions.)

I do understand that my original statement could be technically wrong given the numbers involved. The smartest Phd in English Lit who ever lived might, be smarter than the dumbest student at Bronx. But being from England you might not know that the high school I picked is the toughest in the US. The students there are significantly smarter than the average science major at MIT.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right I did not know it was such a good school. I assumed it was average, so I take back my comment.

However if I had to rely on the average student who passed GCSE Physics over here to save the world, I would kiss my arse goodbye, you really don't even need what I would classify as basic numeracy skills to pass Physics in the UK. I would quite honestly prefer English Lit students over those guys, I guess methods and standards are vastly different in the US.

Regards Mack
Old 04-15-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope some PhD gets on here to argue; it would be very entertaining.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:14 PM

Getting a PhD in literature (or any field) requires a lot of hard work and determination. It qualifies you for teaching literature, (which at the collegiate level has some merit and prestige), writing, or for one of many careers which you benefit from having strong verbal/written communication skills.

Asteroid? Give me the Bronx High School of Science student any day. (Even a top level high school AP physics student from Greenbo, Alabama would probably do.) Give me a couple with enough communication skills to write a memo in Microsoft Word, and I'll start my own "Asteroid Defense" company. Anybody want to buy some stock?
Old 04-15-2005, 02:37 PM

I agree. Ayn Rand excepted. She is the only one I respect more than you David.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Response To Mr. Sklansky

[ QUOTE ]
The original hypothesis is just wrong. Unless possibly if you define genius to be one of those few hundered ivory tower airheads who doesn't know how to tie his shoes.

The average net worth of all Americans who are extremely smart is greater than the average net worth of all Americans who are very smart which is greater than the average net worth of Americans who are somewhat smart. There are two reasons why this isn't obvious but if you fall for them it is YOU who isn't smart.

First is the fact that extremely smart people are very rare. Say the top one percent. Now look at the Forbes 400. Say eighteen of them are from the extremely smart group. It is probably more but we will be conservative. A quick glance at that statistic will lead morons to proclaim that being smart doesn't help, you get into the Forbes 400. I won't insult you by explaining further.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some valid criticims in there Mr. Sklansky. Let me reiterate what I said earlier:

I agree that, up to a point, income does correspond with intelligence (measured for purposes here by IQ).

And I understand how there could be problems with sample sizes in relation to the general population which would tend to produce deceptive or skewed results.

For that reason, let's do it this way:

I would be willing to bet the AVERAGE income of those in America with an IQ in the 120-125 range is greater, than the AVERAGE income of those in the 150-155 range.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:06 PM

Default The Real Deal.

i ate a nice breakfast
it was raining, but i was dry
i talked to my friend

Is there anything else?

Simple needs, simple life, open mind. Bliss.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody want to buy some stock?

[/ QUOTE ]

Errrmmmmmmm, I'll hold if thats okay man. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Mack
Old 04-15-2005, 04:01 PM

I respectfully disagree on the assessment of Bronx Science as I personally know graduates from the institution. Before I wrote this I actually called one of said graduates who disagreed with the statement. Darn good school though.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:33 PM

Default DING! You are correct. n/m

"a lot of geniuses are pretty lazy and/or don't give a [censored] about money "