Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 10:08 PM

Default full ring vs. 6-max

In Ed Miller's magazine column he suggests that anyone playing full ring games should drop down a limit and start playing the 6 max tables there . Has anyone tried this or have good stats/experience to compare these 2 kinds of games?
Old 12-19-2005, 10:33 PM

Default Re: full ring vs. 6-max

I would say 6-max is so much better, but I've had 6 losing days in a row so I'm bitter.

6-max makes you a better full limit player, and it's usually easier to make more money at 6-max than fullring, although you need a bigger bankroll to support it (there's some pretty retarded swings).
Old 12-19-2005, 11:21 PM

I followed Ed Miller's suggestion and have no regrets so far. I've only played 5500 hands, but enjoyed the experience since it forces you to make a lot more difficult decisions. Also, I find the pace really fast, and it feels like you are always in the action as opposed to be waiting for 2 playable cards.

I might be biased since I have been running very well and these games were extremely juicy [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2005, 11:29 PM

He's right, IMO, and that's a great article.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:33 PM

I have not played much 6-max at all but I would suggest you post this in the SSSH forum as well. When I started here last month there were alot of regulars who played 6-max. They are not here as much these days and I think you'll find them over there.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:17 AM

I think you need to check out the rake structure (maybe miller mentioned this, I haven't read the article yet). I know there are some sites where you have to play at least 2/4 to not get raped by the rake at 6 max.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:51 AM

I've enjoyed 6 max quite a bit. You get alot more time to practice HU and 3 handed play along with blind steal/defense situations. 6 Max has been great for improving my PF raise % and overall agression and has thereby helped my full ring game immensely. The great thing about 6 max is the ability to find tables full of fish and then have them all to yourself or maybe sharing with another player. The swings are annoying but overall BB/100 should be better if you pick the right tables as you will get so much more personal time with guys who have 50%+ VPIP and very low aggression or guys with 70%+ VPIP who are super lags. (I enjoy playing super lags so much more than fish)
Old 12-20-2005, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In Ed Miller's magazine column he suggests that anyone playing full ring games should drop down a limit and start playing the 6 max tables there . Has anyone tried this or have good stats/experience to compare these 2 kinds of games?

[/ QUOTE ]
Where can I find this article?
Old 12-20-2005, 05:31 AM

I too recently have taken the 6-max plunge and am loving it. I found much looser/more passive games than full-ring, as others have said it helps your short-handed and HU play when playing full-ring, and you get to play more hands and see more scenarios. Here are two posts from MrWookie that lay all this out very well. These are must reads if you're gonna take on 6-max.

Six Max Baby Steps

Pooh-Bah Dissertation - 6 Max Stats FAQ
Old 12-20-2005, 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where can I find this article?

[/ QUOTE ]

Observations on 6-max Limit Hold 'em by Ed Miller - 2+2 Magainze