Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-08-2005, 04:40 AM

Default Hit a set on turn, but puts 3 flush on board

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Hero (t800)
MP1 (t785)
MP2 (t770)
MP3 (t535)
CO (t790)
Button (t775)
SB (t1320)
BB (t698)
UTG (t800)
UTG+1 (t727)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls t15, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls t15, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t75) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t15</font>, BB calls t15, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t90</font>, MP2 folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls t75.

Turn: (t270) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero ....

What line do you like best here? Do you like to bet out here, and decide if you call a raise/hope you take it down? Or do you like to check, and see what happens on the river?
Old 12-08-2005, 04:44 AM

Default Re: Hit a set on turn, but puts 3 flush on board

I lead out 1/2 pot to get information out of this card. Without a flush or a straight, I think villian disappears here. Villian could easily have stuck around w/ a 6 or possibly 2 pair. Fold to reraise, and if villian cold calls, you may boat up anyways.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I lead out 1/2 pot to get information out of this card. Without a flush or a straight, I think villian disappears here. Villian could easily have stuck around w/ a 6 or possibly 2 pair. Fold to reraise, and if villian cold calls, you may boat up anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I'm just asking for opinions on how you play it. I am certainly not folding to a random raise. There are plenty of outs to improve on the river. And advising a fold to a raise is simply just poor. That being said, there are potentially some raises that I would fold to. But, you have 10 outs to improve on the river.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:51 AM

Do you call a check/push from villian here?
Old 12-08-2005, 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

really? This really makes me wonder what is the dichotomy between looser MTT play and STT play because I have been somewhat successful at both but put much more faith in my MTT skills. In a MTT unless it is a very deep stacked tournament there is no way I am dropping a set to a raise here. If this is different in a shorter stacked tournament where I am getting a set fewer times before blinds hit I am misunderstanding short stack play maybe, IMO I am playing this strong regardless. You would really fold to a reraise here???
Old 12-08-2005, 04:58 AM

Fold very well could be ill advised. I'm definitely still learning here, and just saying what I'd do. I think I fold to a push(villian is most likely sticking around with something), which looks more like a flush draw than anything else. If villian does something dumb like min raise me back, I stay in and hopefully see a cheap showdown.
I think a straight would reraise this flop because of the flush draw, and I don't feel that top pair sticks around and reraises a bet on the turn. If villian plays back, I really only put them on flush/two pair. WA/WB. Meh.

EDIT: Early in a MTT I would probably call a push, being that I want to get a huge edge over opponents early.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:02 AM

Folding to a reraise is pretty horrible. I like checking the turn behind. This way you're winning more if he bluffs the river, calling all reasonable river leads, betting for value on river checks, and owning his slowplayed flush if you hit one of your 10 outs.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:19 AM

I would bet out here a large percentage of the time. Sometimes I'll check, but seeing another diamond would really really suck. I don't think either play is that bad.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:17 AM

Hero goes broke. If he has a flush you have redraw outs anyway, and most of the time he won't.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:19 AM

As for what to do here, for an "ABC poker" line I'd usually bet between 1/2 and 2/3rds the pot, for a thinking player I might sometimes overbet the pot, to make him think I am bluffing the flush or trying to buy it. It varies.