Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 04:18 PM

Default ($11)(Party) 4-handed, A9o on button, 100/200 blinds

Blinds are 100/200 and will go up in 4 hands.

We have been 4-handed for 11 hands and I've pushed in 3 of those 11 hands without being called. Just previous to that I had pushed 3 or 4 times in a row and was never called. The only hand they saw me show down in the last 25 hands was AA when I called an all-in and busted the 5th player.
Nobody is being overaggressive, but I'm the only one that is in all-in or fold mode (I've been short stacked mostly).

CO folds to me, and I have A9o on the button with the smallest stack with 1710 (but not by much).

Looking at SnGPT, the EV of pushing is about even (22.9%fold/23.94%push, avg calling range). That is a pretty small edge.

What do you do in this situation? Calling just begs one of the blinds to go over the top. Raising 2.5x or 3x really hurts my stack if called and I have to fold on flop. And pushing, of course, commits all your chips on a marginal hand (I've pushed with much worse then this in the last hands of course, but I had a much smaller stack and had to given the situation). Folding with A9o here seems too tight though. I find myself in a lot of situations like this and don't feel any too comfortable with any of the choices. I'm looking for some feedback from successful SnG players for this situation. Do you like to call, raise a small amount, push, or (unlikely) fold here?

Total number of players : 4
Seat 1: Hero (1710)
Seat 3: Villan 1 (1778)
Seat 4: Villan 2 (2736)
Seat 10: Villan 3 (1776)
Villan 1 posts small blind (100)
Villan 2 posts big blind (200)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ 9h, As ]
Villan 3 folds.
Hero???
Old 10-13-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Re: ($11)(Party) 4-handed, A9o on button, 100/200 blinds

[ QUOTE ]
Looking at SnGPT, the EV of pushing is about even (22.9%fold/23.94%push). That is a pretty small edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

i rarely resort to the bold, but it's gotta be done...

sngpt didn't tell you anything on its own. you had to put in calling ranges. if you don't tell us what calling ranges you used, the above statement is worthless

[/rant]

i'd push there.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:27 PM

Pushing situation to me.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

sngpt didn't tell you anything on its own. you had to put in calling ranges. if you don't tell us what calling ranges you used, the above statement is worthless

i'd push there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trying to be complete, yet I miss the obviously important...arg...Avg calling range.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pushing situation to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is this an auto-push for you given that SnGPT shows this as a marginal push for an avg calling range? What other factors are you considering that I may be missing?
Old 10-13-2005, 04:31 PM

Try doing an experiment here.

Change yourself to the caller in the big blind. And put the button pusher on a range you would push with. Then look at how tight you should be calling with.

Then you will see how if you don't push this you have a major leak.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pushing situation to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is this an auto-push for you given that SnGPT shows this as a marginal push for an avg calling range? What other factors are you considering that I may be missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it is on the bubble, which means uber agression.

You have a decent ace, and there are only two people left to act. And one of the players left to act is about the same size stack as you.

On the bubble if you push I dont see the other 1700 stack calling without a HUGE hand. He isnt going to risk going broke right before the bubble.

So to me the only person you have to worry about is the big stack. So pushing is the right move here. Pick up the blinds. Just cross your fingers that the big stack two seats from you doesnt have a premium hand.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:38 PM

1.) You have quite a bit less than 10BB == push or fold. (plenty of previous discussion on this, but the idea is that you are pot-committed anyway at that point, and you want to maximize your fold equity).

2.) I don't remember the calling ranges, but given that it's the bubble and you can cripple both villains, and the history of the table, the "avg" setting seems too loose to me.

3.) Even if it was only a 1% edge, this is not trivial. Claiming these edges adds up.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pushing situation to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

A push UTG on the bubble with these stack sizes is usually worth less EV than is indicated on SNGPT since the chances of a call are somewhat larger than say a push from the SB. When you push A9 UTG and are called say 25%, then ~15% total you are knocked out and thus forgo anymore +EV moves.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[
Well it is on the bubble, which means uber agression.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, uber aggression on the bubble has been killing me lately!!! I'm looking back and seeing a lot of tournaments that I would likely have cashed in had I not been so uber aggressive on the bubble (I consider bubble 75/150 or 4 players, whichever comes first). I frequently push with the maniac range of hands on the bubble, and if the situation looks right, i push with absolute trash.

But it isn't working well for me and I'm trying to figure out how to fix my game.