Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-26-2005, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Tip for driving in the mountains...

[ QUOTE ]
My opinion is that 5 over is fast enough. I'm definitely not pulling over for someone who's tailgating me.

[/ QUOTE ]
are you one of those people who sits in the left lane doing 75 in a 65, regardless of how many people you are holding up when theres two other lanes you could be driving in because 75 is fast enough? if so, i hate you
Old 12-26-2005, 09:11 PM

i dont know about that. you are going the speed limit and should pull over and lose time so someone behind you can break the law and get there faster.

if you are going the speed limit why should you slow down to let someone pass. if they want to break the law why go out of your way at all. unless you think it will be less dangerous for you, then i can see it.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
unless you think it will be less dangerous for you, then i can see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly, that's what i based my opinions on. if i'm doing the speed limit or even a few miles over, and someone comes up on me fast and is tailgating.. i just want to get out of his way. people are horrible drivers.. who knows what will happen.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
unless you think it will be less dangerous for you,

[/ QUOTE ]

This is implicit to the rule. There is no point in time on a mountain pass that having 12 people directly behind you is safe.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My opinion is that 5 over is fast enough. I'm definitely not pulling over for someone who's tailgating me.

[/ QUOTE ]
are you one of those people who sits in the left lane doing 75 in a 65, regardless of how many people you are holding up when theres two other lanes you could be driving in because 75 is fast enough? if so, i hate you

[/ QUOTE ]
nope, only if I have to take a left turn or something.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
nope, only if I have to take a left turn or something.

[/ QUOTE ]
ok, i still like you [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
these aren't entirely intuitive....
#2 I wouldn't know what to do, but if I was in either side I'd probably be the wuss pulling over to the side.

#3 sometimes you get slightly distracted and drift down in speed so when you realize you are going too slow you speed up (however I'd always slow down and let them pass).

for #1, are you supposed to pull over and stop EVERY time two guys get close behind you (I'm not this guy either, I'd be going fast).

You should learn to calm down and realize getting wherever you have to go 10 minutes earlier isn't that big a deal =p

[/ QUOTE ]

#2 - I think you need to read your driver's handbook again. Uphill has right of way. At 4 way stops, person to right of you has right of way. Pedestrians usually have right of way. et cetera et cetera et cetera.

#3 - I think you need to read your driver's handbook again. NEVER EVER speed up when someone is passing you.

#1 - I think you need to read your driver's handbook again. Where I live, you have to pull over and let others pass when there are 5 or more cars behind you.

I think you need to read your driver's handbook again.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:43 PM

In Illinois, it is now illegal to drive in the left lanes when not passing. This is the only positive development in the state's government the last decade.

Unfortunately, I have yet to see much enforcement
Old 12-27-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In Illinois, it is now illegal to drive in the left lanes when not passing. This is the only positive development in the state's government the last decade.

Unfortunately, I have yet to see much enforcement

[/ QUOTE ]
We got this in Colorado recently, too. I've seen it enforced 3 times. It's not helping much on the way up I-70 into the Mountains, though, since the cops are always gorging themselves on speeders going down the hill towards Denver.

These [censored] are my #1 driving pet peeve. Quit cruising in the left lane and either pass someone or get the [censored] out of the left lane, [censored]!
Old 12-27-2005, 07:28 PM

my friends and i had an interesting observation about Colorado motorvehicles from our trip last week to Breckenridge/Vail:

It seems as though there were scores of vehicles going 80+ through the mountains, but couldn't go the speed limit back at flatland--kind of odd