Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-23-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Strategy question on getting deep

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You give stack sizes, but not blind sizes.

Very important info, or else I don't know how I would play the hand.

Regards,
Woodguy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

big blind during 3rd hour:
1st 15 mins: 300/600/50
2nd: 400/800/50
3rd: 600/1200/75
4th: 800/1600/75

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry bout that Wood....this particular hand was 600/1200/75
Old 12-23-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the blinds are 500-1000 or higher there isn't much else you can do here but push it in or maybe if you were first to act on the flop try to stop and go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blinds were 600/1200 and I did not consider a stop n go but probably should have.

The question however is not so much hand specific as to the level of aggression I tend to display. I'm typically TAGish and have been trying to change gears around this time of the tournament hoping to get a big stack. ie, steal a little more and push the edges, but it seems like I'm failing at every attempt. What is the best inflection point or does it just tend to happen based on the action at the table? I can continue my TAG stance and slide into the money with an average stack, but I'm wanting to go deep and pick up that elusive win.

There was another thread here about the desire to play OUTSTANDING poker as opposed to solid poker. I'm solid. Period. I look at the guys with 50 final tables in 6 mos and wonder, how the heck do they do it? I want to be OUTSTANDING. What am I missing here?
Old 12-23-2005, 05:08 PM

Yeah, I didn't mean push as in all in. I meant push in the generic sense of "I'm ahead, I am going to be aggressive" type sense.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There was another thread here about the desire to play OUTSTANDING poker as opposed to solid poker. I'm solid. Period. I look at the guys with 50 final tables in 6 mos and wonder, how the heck do they do it? I want to be OUTSTANDING. What am I missing here?

[/ QUOTE ]
Solid play works when you have a lot of chips and weak players. Beyond that it'll be guarunteed to get you to the bubble very often and not much more.

Given your stack size I probably push 99. I want to push KTo's, JTo, etc. out of the hand as the pot is a decent size to take down without racing. If Villian is calling off 2/3rds of his stack with KJo here you should be seeing a lot more flops or reraising him more often preflop. If he's picking up more than his fair share of pots, he's playing correctly.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:27 PM

Ok, given the stack/blind ratio, you have one move, push or fold.

I don't like a SnG here as that move is best used to fold better hands, and if you do it here, you are likely folding worse hands, which you want to call.

Given this:

[ QUOTE ]
Villain (25,000)is LAGish, always putting in an open raise with any two.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm getting my chips in pretty quick PF, as often I'll have him 70/30 (i.e. A8)

I understand being disheartned when a hand you may have made fold with a flop bet rivers you out of tourney, but making the best play will work out over the long haul, and you want to maximize chips here.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 12-23-2005, 07:30 PM

I don't know if i like the push here. Seems that villain's image is loose and a little weak. Not many players will stack you with K-Jo. This is a weakness you need to exploit, and the way to do that is not pushing pre-flop. I like stop&go here. Use this to give your opponent only 3 cards rather than 5...manipulate your small edge into a much larger one. A push screams low PP, but a small re-raise here shows strength, and then the pot is yours on the flop when you bet out.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:38 AM

Great response as always Wood. I appreciate it.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if i like the push here. Seems that villain's image is loose and a little weak. Not many players will stack you with K-Jo. This is a weakness you need to exploit, and the way to do that is not pushing pre-flop. I like stop&go here. Use this to give your opponent only 3 cards rather than 5...manipulate your small edge into a much larger one. A push screams low PP, but a small re-raise here shows strength, and then the pot is yours on the flop when you bet out.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is all easy to say now that we know villain had a marginal hand that happened to consist of two overcards and was willing to call a reraise all-in with KJo.
At the time, though, all we can really say is that our nines are almost certainly the best hand. We should push this advantage by all means. Can't help it if villain makes a donkey call that works out.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not many players will stack you with K-Jo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, but if they are playing the Secret System they will stack you every time!
Old 12-24-2005, 06:16 AM

if the blinds are 300-600 there is ABSOLUTELY no reason to go broke on this hand regardless of the action.