Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 05-01-2005, 01:56 PM

Default Blind Defense w/J6o comments

1) Should I even consider defending in this spot?
2) Given the action on the river, was I wrong to call?

Paradise Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, Button calls.

Turn: (9 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, Button calls.

River: (12 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Final Pot: 21 BB
Old 05-01-2005, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Blind Defense w/J6o comments

This preflop call absolutely sucks.

1) I almost never call when defending from the SB. It's 3-bet or fold, barring extenuating circumstances.

2) Defending with J6o, a sub-marginal hand, out of position, by coldcalling from the SB is terrible.

3) River play is hard to say. It really seems like you're toast on this board but the action is so strange...

Rob
Old 05-01-2005, 02:29 PM

I'm more than willing to accept that I'm wrong here, but I don't think I defend the BB with J6o. Calling a potential steal in the SB is almost always wrong, however. If you have enough of a hand to call with, you should really be 3betting to get heads up. You're offering the BB 5:1 on whatever trash he's currently holding.

It's hard to see you being good on the river. I'd call a raise every single time, but a raise and a 3bet from two different villains when a card that completes two potential draws looks bleak for your two pair. Plus, you're not closing the action. BB could cap, taking things from bad to worse. I think I'd fold, but I'd feel pretty bad about it.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:30 PM

Preflop: Fold

Flop: Fine

Turn: Good

River: check, fold if it's two back to you, call if it's one back to you, there's a straight and a flush out there, two guys show aggression with a straight and a flush out there, chances are two pair is no good.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:17 PM

`blind post`

I'm doing this because I know nothing about blind defense, so everything I say here might be completely wrong.

First off, I think J6o is a bit of a weak hand to be defending your blind with from the SB. I'd maybe defend w/ J8+, Q8+, and K9+, but J6 is iffy at best.

The flop is fine I think, but I'd be really worried about the BB coming along for the ride... What can he possibly have besides an open ended straight draw? (Of course, since you gave us no reads it's hard to say).

Turn is fine too.

Now the river... You bet, and the BB, who has been a perfect calling station up to now, RAISES. Do you think he decided to defend with 54 and hit? It's a possibility...

And on top of that, the Button reawakens and three bets... What could he have? Sincerely, I have no clue

At any rate, the pot is now huge. You are getting 18:2 when the betting gets to you, with the possibility of a cap behind you. So, either you get 19:2 or 22:3. Do you think you're good that often. I think I'd call, but I'm not sure.