Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-28-2005, 03:46 PM

Default Was this fishy play?

I don't have too much read on opponent. I saw him limping with hands that are standard raises. Postflop he is also passive, but defends A-hi hands. He apparently has the fold button too and is not a big chaser.

Flop is standard here? He mucks lot of hands but bets with a lot of them. Against bad opponents I bet all the way, against aggros I often c/r here if they call down a PP. But I think villain here would fold them quite often.
I'm also passive on the turn for the above reasons.
River is a good card for me and I want to represent the nut no-pair rivering a pair or a missed flush draw with the donkbet.

Cryptologic 3.00/6.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(6 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3.00 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (2.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (4.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Was this fishy play?

If you think he will fold if you bet and bet if you check this seems pretty solid. But I would put some more bets in on the river. Most of the time this is a split but sometimes you will find some weird hands.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:54 PM

Looks fine. I'd want to bet the flop because of the clubs, but given your read it's okay I think.

I'd also want to 3-bet the river because "you never know," but I can't decide if it's worth throwing an extra buck or two into the rake.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:06 PM

Yuck. So your basic question is whether you should ever raise, anywhere, in a hand where you hit trips with a good kicker and make a boat on the turn? I really don't understand what you're trying to accomplish here.

Giving him a free card on the flop when he may be on the flush draw is sucky. Once you hit the boat on the turn, you have to find somewhere to raise. Why not check/raise the turn, or the river? As played, you must 3-bet this river. Villain is going to raise any holding that includes a 4 as he isn't likely to put you on the ace (hell, the way you played, you could be value betting a pair of kings on the river.)
Old 12-28-2005, 08:24 PM

ok, i understand the slow play on the turn, i can even understand the check/call on the turn because of your read. (your reasons are good, i just don't employ the same reasoning most of the time. if i bet and he folds, the next time i'll make the same play whether i have the ace or not).

i don't understand the river at all though. you want to make sure to get at least 3 bets against almost anybody because you have the third nuts. this guy is passive-ish, if he doesn't have the ace, he is calling the donk. on the other hand, you have no reason to believe that he won't bet, since you played it like a busted draw. CR the river and call a 3-bet since you are probably spliting.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:36 PM

It looks like you got the idea: If you don't lead this flop it's pretty hard to find a raise later on in the hand without spooking villain.

I'm putting in one more bet on the end
Old 12-28-2005, 10:51 PM

Am I misreading this hand or something? We have the third nuts, the only thing that beats us is 44 and AK, why aren't we raising?