Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-28-2005, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Expanding my horizons: playing draws aggressively

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i think it's fine limping utg with 65s, as long as you're not really deep.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm definitely sure the exact opposite is true.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you should lead this flop. The raise on the turn seems like chip spewing to me bc if villains is one who is incapable of folding an overpair you should wait until you make your hand to put your chips in. As played i am calling turn, though i hate it and pushing river if i hit.

This is one of those instances that illustrates why you should have folded preflop, IMO, because you got a decent flop and now you are OOP, probably behind but still can't reasonably find a fold. Not the best situation.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:02 PM

Thank you for the replies, everyone. Villain had 74o (bizarre, and I guess serves me right for not paying closer attention to how he was playing - but, whether it was 74o or AA I had to play the hand knowing I was behind, so it doesn't really matter) and I missed on the river. I'll try to post more hands like this in the future as I work on this aspect of my game, because I'm not going to get very far if I can't be aggressive without a made hand.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:13 PM

You shouldn't just be aggressive for its own sake. You want to raise with draws for specific reasons - to get (incorrect) folds, to disguise your hand for better implied odds (this rarely works), to buy a free card on the turn (again this is rarely correct), or some combination.

For example, raising a good draw in last position on the flop is nice because A) it builds the pot if you hit, B) he may just fold, which is nice, C) if he pushes, you can often correctly call, D) he may check the turn E) it puts you in the lead, so if he checks the turn & river you may be able to bet unimproved and win the pot with a pure bluff.

A very rough guideline for semi-bluffing with your whole stack is that you should never do it unless it's pretty likely they will fold a better hand. If not, just call if you are getting correct odds.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You shouldn't just be aggressive for its own sake. You want to raise with draws for specific reasons - to get (incorrect) folds, to disguise your hand for better implied odds (this rarely works), to buy a free card on the turn (again this is rarely correct), or some combination.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many times, when this situation comes up, the draw is actually ahead (ie TP+FD vs overpair). In these instances you're being aggressive on the flop because you're actually ahead with two cards to come. In this case you want to get your money in NOW while you're ahead. If you don't get it in on the flop then you're going to be a dog on the turn if you don't hit.