Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software

Old 12-18-2005, 11:02 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Moderator

you were Angry Cola. then you became a mod and you were not angry anymore. you were just Cola. now that you are an administrator you should be happy. can you be Gay Cola?
Old 12-18-2005, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Moderator

Or can you change your hair colour, then you can become Dye-It Cola?
Old 12-18-2005, 01:23 PM

Default Sticky

I have a question about stickies. (Sorry to derail this enlightening thread by adding ... content. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

Can we put up a basic "Hey, n00b, here's what you should already know." sticky? It sure sounds useful, but there are a few issues with this.

1) Most things I'd add are for-pay software. What are the implications of this? I mean, every single person here agrees that you should pay $55 for pokertracker. Can we say that w/o taking-out an ad in the classifieds?

2) This stuff changes pretty fast. I used to praise GT+. Now I'm a follower of the allmight PAHud. I don't think the moving target is enough of a problem to stop a sticky, but we'd need to update it periodically.

I made a page for friends here. This is probably a decent start for a sticky. What do you guys think?
-Sam
Old 12-22-2005, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Sticky

I hate to bump my own post like this, but maybe the powers-that-be assumed this was another "cola" pun. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Any comments on a sticky?
-Sam

Old 12-22-2005, 12:08 PM

Wow, learn some website design please. That looks like it was made by a soccer mom.

I mean, the information looks good but that background and text and overall layout has to be fixed if you want anybody to link to it in an official way.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
has to be fixed if you want anybody to link to it in an official way.

[/ QUOTE ]Ugh. I never wanted anybody to link to this in an official way. That's a page I made for buddies, in the style I was once dared to use. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I appreciate the tips on web design, though.

I don't know why we need a seperate webpage at all. (That's why this, and your, message is titled "Sticky".) The b&m forum has a sticky on whether to tip & how to buy chips, for goodness sake. I just got tired of telling people over and over where to download mods, or whether they should [censored] buy pokertracker or not.

I nominate pokergrader as Official Sticky Designer.
-Sam
Old 12-22-2005, 06:55 PM

The problem with stickies like the one you are suggesting is there is almost no way to put them up without it looking like an endorsement of certain programs, etc. Even a disclaimer about 2+2 not endorsing these programs would be contradictory. Because if 2+2 doesn't endorse a program, why would its name be stickied to the top of 2+2's software forum?

I've run into these types of situations with stickies before, and it would be hard to write an acceptable AND useful one for this forum. You guys are free to create some sort of FAQ or summary thread if you believe it would be useful to people, but there's probably not any way a thread like that would be made a sticky. Sorry.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:40 PM

How would you feel about an "open directory" sticky where any developer can request a link and blurb? That would do away with the favoritism worries at least.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How would you feel about an "open directory" sticky where any developer can request a link and blurb? That would do away with the favoritism worries at least.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this would fly either. In fact, it would probably be even less acceptable (if that's even possible).
Old 12-22-2005, 08:29 PM

It's pretty clear that the stickying logic is beyond me.