Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

View Poll Results: An unimaginative 17% VPIP, 9% PFR, raises in MP. You have AQo. You...
Raise 10 40.00%
Call 3 12.00%
Fold 12 48.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Failed my first class ever

DKK - Your life isn't over. There are many factors that will weight the importance of this failing grade. It is not good though, obviously.

In general, the earlier in your academic career the better. So if this is your freshman year... it's an easier thing to explain (for any grad school or employer that requests a transcript), chalking it up to being a frosh jackass.

Is this class in your major? If it is, and you're looking to apply to grad school specific to your major... obvioulsy this hurts alot. You would likely have to append an explanation for this failing grade in any app.

Bottom-line: Hopefully this F is an anomaly. This is good because 1) easier to explain as an outlier in your otherwise successful academic career and 2) obvioulsy won't affect your GPA that much.

Study Harder!
-Al

Edit - Hahaha yeah Sam, I've NEVER heard of an undergrad that allows you to "take a class over", meaning you get to replace the "F" with the new grade. That's ridiculous.

My brother went to Brown, which had a thing where if you are about to fail, you can switch it to "no grade" or something gay like that. Lame, also.

Edit 2 - Yasher/Melchy - I am seriously surprised that decent undergrads allow their students to repeat a failed class, and wipe out the previous F with the new grade.

The fact they got an F isn't somehow recorded, at all, on the transcript? Lame.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:27 PM

I'm looking at a couple universities here in Texas, and they're gonna allow me to replace my grade from another university, after I retake a similar course and pass it. So, its not DeVry and ITT. American University does it too!

But seriously, I believe this to be a not-so-uncommon practice. This is how I'm getting back into college. Hooray for being a 22 year old college freshman all over again. That'll be a trip report for the ages.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:28 PM

Repeat Delete is actually quite common at decent universities samjjones. Schools will either have an extended drop section, or they will have repeat delete.

Melch
Old 12-16-2005, 02:28 PM

I failed a 5 credit calculus class as an Undergraduate and now have an Master's degree. Take it over.

LLL
Old 12-16-2005, 02:39 PM

I failed out of college the first time around, so dont sweat it. It a very short time your college life will be far far behind you. I dont know the field you are thinking of going in to but in my world no one cares about individual grades. If you gots the sheepskin you are in.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:41 PM

if you're in grad school you are 99% screwed.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:42 PM

Acme - yeah good point. Only for on-campus recruiting and grad schools do individual undergrad grades have alot of weight. (Even for on-campus recruiting for undergrad, it's more your overall GPA). And as you advance in your career, undergrad GPA (and by extension individual class grades) mean very little if anything at all.

-Al
Old 12-16-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How, exactly, did you fail this class? What class was it? Why didn't you drop it when you found out you were over your head? What level of education are you at?

[/ QUOTE ]

I failed the class because I wasn't smart enough to read the syllabus and realize that if I don't pick up all of my quizes from the professor during his office hours then they become zeros. It's not like I didn't do the work or wasn't doing well in the class. I didn't drop it when I found out I was over my head because I was never over my head, I did decently in the class so my failure had nothing to do with the quality of my work, but more with my stupidity. As for level of education, first semester freshman. The class was kind of a joke anyway. It was about witch hunting and witch trials. It did however fulfill part of a gen-ed requirement. So I'll have to take another class to fulfill that requirement.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:54 PM

Have you ever failed a class?

I haven't.

Ha ha.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The class was kind of a joke anyway. It was about witch hunting and witch trials.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, that's sweet. not quite as good as my luckbox friends who took "pool" as a course...