Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2005, 08:17 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Central Mass 2+2 Challenge Two-The Suckout Masters Strike Back

Continuation of the event started by Kilgore Trout here: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...amp;PHPSESSID=

Dan was great for hosting the first event. And I'm willing to host the second coming at my place. I'm limited to 16 players on two tables however.

Also, I have a different spin on the structure to be used, and also on the bounty system we utilized last time.

Game : NL Hold 'Em
Buy-In: $100
Bounty With A Twist: Everyone places $20 in front of them during the event.

If you bust a player, you can take their $20 for yourself.....or, you can surrender their $20 to the prize pool and receive 2000 extra chips that weren't in play (should make for an interesting strategical element. I'm not married to this idea, however, in the event that the majority of players are opposed)

Structure:

Start with 5,000 chips

25/50 (45 minutes)

50/100 (45 minutes)

BREAK

75/150 (45 minutes)

100/200 + 25 ante (45 minutes)

BREAK

200/400 + 50 ante (30 minutes)

400/800 + 50 ante (30 minutes)

500/1000 + 100 ante (30 minutes)

BREAK (color in $25 chips)

1000/2000 + 100 ante (30 minutes)

1500/3000 + 200 ante (30 minutes)

2000/4000 + 400 ante (30 minutes)

BREAK (color in $100 chips)

2500/5000 + 500 ante (until end)

Dan's structure had levels starting out at 15 minutes each and changing to 20 minutes and then 30 minutes. I figure this structure will give everyone more breathing room early on to make plays and take some shots, without having to risk a significant portion of their stack, but as the night wears on, the pressure increases a bit.

I have not used this particular structure before, so I'm open to suggestions of course. Also, unlike Dan's place, I would not be hosting any side cash games during or after the tourney. While I love side cash games, it would just irritate the female-unit in the house.

I'd be looking at a Saturday afternoon in June for this event, haven't picked a date yet. Lemme know what you think.

Also, the payouts would be:

1st: 43.75%
2nd: 25%
3rd: 18.75%
4th: 12.5%

I came up with the above payouts because I looked at a $1600 prize pool and wanted to pay out as follows:

1st: $700
2nd: $400
3rd: $300
4th: $200

Usually I do a 50/25/15/10 structure, but I think the payouts above work nicely, giving all players who make the money something reasonable for their efforts.

AJ
www.triplethreatpoker.com
Old 04-24-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Central Mass 2+2 Challenge Two-The Suckout Masters Strike Back

sounds fun
Old 04-24-2005, 12:48 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

[ QUOTE ]
sounds fun

[/ QUOTE ] We had a guy drive down from Maine, you coming down from NY to play? I think I'm supposed to give preference to the players who attended last time, but I'm not really sure how it all winds up working out.

Maybe a first-come first-served basis. We had 18 last time, and I can only do 16 at my place, so that makes it even more difficult. I guess when I settle on a date it'll be a free-for-all to sign-up.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:51 PM

put me on the list
Old 04-24-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
put me on the list

[/ QUOTE ]

Any comments on the tourney structure I'm proposing, or the bounty hunter idea I have (where you can take the cash, or surrender it to the prize pool and snag 2K chips extra)?
Old 04-24-2005, 01:36 PM

i like that idea, i probaly wont be able to make the trip though
Old 04-24-2005, 02:38 PM

I like the bounty choice. At first I was balking at the 2x value of that money:chip ratio but I think that's the best way to do it, to encourage people to put that money in the prize pool. Very cool idea.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the bounty choice. At first I was balking at the 2x value of that money:chip ratio but I think that's the best way to do it, to encourage people to put that money in the prize pool. Very cool idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. Early on, that 2000 chips would be a HUGE value, while later on you might opt to take the cash instead.

Taking the chips is no guarantee you'll ever see that 20 bucks again, but the extra chips can put you in a better position and allow you to play more agressively. Figured it was a "cool" idea, but we'll see what the others think. Don't want to force my strange ideas on everyone if they aren't interested.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:34 PM

Hi AJ,

Count me in if space is available. The blind structure and payouts look fine to me.

Thanks,

John

JohnnyBgood4 on Stars
Old 04-24-2005, 08:17 PM

Default List Of Interest: April 24th

I'll obviously update this as things progress by adding another updated list later in the thread.

The current list is pretty small, what's going on with all the original players from yesterday? Is my place too far to travel? Was it my inane banter or my ridiculous shortness?

1. Grandgnu (aka AJ "The Triple Threat")
2. jstnrgrs (aka Justin Rogers maybe?)
3. Jbrochu (aka JohnnyBGood)
4. Ghazban

Alright, 4 players does not a 2+2 challenge make. Let's hear from some other local yokels here....