Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 09:14 AM

Default Should I wear sunglasses and baseball cap to a major tournament?

If I win an entry to a major tournament, should I wear sunglasses and a baseball cap? How about to a $500 tournament? Would that be/appear silly?
Old 11-24-2005, 09:19 AM

Default Re: Should I wear sunglasses and baseball cap to a major tournament?

It seems that sunglass wearing is declining but who cares, do whatever makes you feel comfortable.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:23 AM

I've seen worse at $45 tourneys....I've seen Unabomber freaks with 20 lucky charms in front of them...

Shades are fine, (remember, the principal purpose of shades is so people aren't aware when you're watching them, not to hide tells) -

and hats will do you no good but if you wear them for fashion, who cares.

perfectly normal...stupid in a 2/4 game - but a $500 tourney, you can start to pull out some stuff to ensure you don't give away a slight edge.

RB
Old 11-24-2005, 09:25 AM

Do you need them? If you need the glasses then use them. If you normally wear a hat (away from poker) then wear a hat.

It doesn't really matter much. Nobody cares what you're fashion statement is.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I win an entry to a major tournament, should I wear sunglasses and a baseball cap? How about to a $500 tournament? Would that be/appear silly?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wore sunglasses and a baseball cap to the 2005 WSOP ME (which was my first major tournament w/ a buy-in over $200). I wore the sunglasses for the first 15 minutes, but I wasn't too fond of them, so I took them off and left them off. I wore a baseball hat merely because I enjoy wearing baseball hats (and I already had Stars gear on with my shirt).

I think it's really a matter of personal preference, but I'd say sunglasses probably aren't necessary (as I certainly didn't feel comfortable wearing them) - although I don't think it would be terribly inconvenient to bring them with you just in case you feel you need them at some point during the tournament. You can leave them sitting on the table or put them in your pocket if you decide you don't want to wear them.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:28 AM

I've only played in one live tourney. But it was one that I got deep in. As it got deeper into play, I was wishing I would have had some sunglasses. Both for the ability to look at people without them knowing, and to avoid the uncomfortable "stare at a piece of felt" when someone is staring you down for a huge pot.

I'd recommend you simply wear a hat, put the glasses on the hat, and use them if you want to.

Nick
Old 11-24-2005, 12:19 PM

During the summer we have a weekly $5 buyin STT, just for some beers and a good time. There are 2 players who wear a hat/sunglasses and listen to the iPod all night. They look ridiculous. For a $500 dollar tournament I think you're fine.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:30 PM

I tend to wear a ball cap but that's a personal choice and really not tied to hiding tells, I just like 'em is all.

Now as for sunglasses, I have but most times I don't, depends on my mood I guess.

I'm an Corporate Instructor during the day and over the past 12 years, I've gotten VERY good at the body language gig and it's made for a VERY easy transition and application at the poker table, so I don't always feel the need to hide myself as what I gain compared to giveaway is minimal at best [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Have a great Turkey Day! I'm still stoked about finishing 1st in the PS midnight $5 700k Sat, tired unit right now but fixing to fire up the twin tubos for the drive up to Zephyrhills [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2005, 12:35 PM

I think all the hats/hoods/glasses make everyone look silly, but that's my opinion. I personally like Gus Hansen for his "this is me" attitude. Those who cover up obviously have something to hide, though I've always had it easy looking pissed off most of the time (keeps people from bother me).
Old 11-24-2005, 12:56 PM

I have done VERY well at the local Dayton, Ohio charity events by using the "are you stupid?" look constantly. Basically after every bet I give off a "do you really want to call me with that crap?" look and it seems to work well on the young and old.

Plus they are full of bigger donkeys than me!!