Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Why demand logic?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What I said applies to all religions, real and hypothetical, it also applies to any belief system

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it applies to everything, therefore to nothing. It's a great achievement.

"If a=5 then a=5" also applies to all religions, real and hypothetical, and also to any belief system, chairs, boats and stars.

[ QUOTE ]
Its all very simple so as long as you understand it you'll be fine. If you don't understand it, tell me which bit you don't understand. If you understand a bit and believe it is wrong then tell me why.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are mistaken if you think there's a problem of misunderstanding here.

[/ QUOTE ]
No it doesn't apply to everything. You know that.

and I don't think its a problem of understanding. I think you understand just fine but are being silly.

I'm done unless you actually address what I said.

chez
Old 11-14-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you understand just fine but are being silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would I just be silly?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm done unless you actually address what I said.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've addressed it for dozens of posts now. You just don't like the things I'm saying, which is perfectly fine.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you understand just fine but are being silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would I just be silly?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know but when you call a boat a belief system in the same way a religion is, you're being silly

chez
Old 11-14-2005, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know but when you call a boat a belief system in the same way a religon is, you're being silly

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all. That paragraph had a meaning. I intended it to have a meaning. You understood the meaning. It had to do with communication, and it was certainly related to truth.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know but when you call a boat a belief system in the same way a religon is, you're being silly

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all. That paragraph had a meaning. I intended it to have a meaning. You understood the meaning. It had to do with communication, and it was certainly related to truth.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Nice 1. lets leave it there unless you want me to go through what I am saying line by line with you telling me which bit of each line you don't understand or why it is wrong.

chez
Old 11-14-2005, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice 1. lets leave it there unless you want me to go through what I am saying line by line with you telling me which bit of each line you don't understand or why it is wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never said that any of what you said is wrong. It wasn't wrong, and wasn't not wrong. It just was. As such, there was no particular "bit" to understand, or not to understand. It was just there. Words. Meaning. Everything you ever wanted it to be, and nothing in particular.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2005, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never said that any of what you said is wrong. It wasn't wrong, and wasn't not wrong. It just was. As such, there was no particular "bit" to understand, or not to understand. It was just there. Words. Meaning. Everything you ever wanted it to be, and nothing in particular.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ].
but you are wrong. It was about something in particular - religon.

it was not about other things like boats.

Hence it had meaning. You obviously understand what I meant by self-defeating religon. So you can understand what I would look for in a particular religion to decide if it was illogical or not.

There's more but that's so simple its hard to extend this when you keep wittering on about evidence instead of acknowledging that you know what I mean.

chez
Old 11-14-2005, 07:45 PM

You are going back to the same circles. I bother to reply because I initiated this thread, otherwise I would leave it long time ago.

[ QUOTE ]
but you are wrong. It was about something in particular - religon.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it wasn't about something in particular, certainly not religion in particular. It was just a circular collection of words, with abstract "meaning".

[ QUOTE ]
it was not about other things like boats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. It was about boats as it was about religion.

[ QUOTE ]
Hence it had meaning. You obviously understand what I meant by self-defeating religon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I did. "Self defeating religion" is an empty creature of your imagination, that has no relation to anything in particular, here, there, or anywhere. It has to do with boats as much as it has to do with religion. Sorry to disappoint you again, but "self defeating relgion" is nada. I don't even agree or disagree with this "concept". it is the exact same concept as "3+a might equal z or not", as far as I'm concerned.

[ QUOTE ]
so you can understand what I would look for in a particular religion to decide if it was illogical or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, so you actually mean that you look for CERTAIN things in PARTICULAR RELIGIONS in order to DECIDE if A PARTICULAR RELIGION is illogical or not? Why in hell would you do that?

[ QUOTE ]
There's more but that's so simple its hard to extend this when you keep wittering on about evidence instead of acknowledging that you know what I mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I "know" what you mean and what you mean means nothing to me without the specifics. Just nothing. Empty structures, that might be true, false, not true, not false, true and false, nothing at all, everything etc.

It is a very circular discussion. I keep it going because you keep posting here and I want this thread to hit 42342 posts. There's absolutely nothing else to say about this.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, so you actually mean that you look for CERTAIN things in PARTICULAR RELIGIONS in order to DECIDE if A PARTICULAR RELIGION is illogical or not?

[/ QUOTE ]
So you didn't understand before, now you've got it. So now when someone tells you a religon is illogical you know what they mean (or at least one possibility of what they might mean).

chez
Old 11-14-2005, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, so you actually mean that you look for CERTAIN things in PARTICULAR RELIGIONS in order to DECIDE if A PARTICULAR RELIGION is illogical or not?

[/ QUOTE ] So you didn't understand before, now you've got it. So now when someone tells you a religon is illogical you know what they mean (or at least one possibility of what they might mean).

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? what are you talking about? Did you just answer my "question" that you have quoted? OK, this is getting crazier by the moment. And what is this nonsense about "when someone tells me a religion is illogical I know what they mean"? LOL. You are out of your mind.

I'd love to keep it going and get to 51135 posts, but I go to sleep now. Yes, this is not america. You can keep posting and even replying to yourself if you like, it wouldn't change much anyway. Good luck.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]