Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2004, 03:43 PM

Default Tipping if you win a Tournament?

I haven't won a big tournament yet, but I'm wondering how much you're supposed to tip if you win to the staff (dealers, etc.)

2%? 5% of winnings? I mean if you win the WSOP $2-5M, do you really tip 5% of that? Just wondering.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Tipping if you win a Tournament?

Ok different question since no responses, do people tip at tournaments at all?
Old 07-07-2004, 09:44 AM

It depends on the tournament. You need to read your entry paperwork - some tournaments withhold a percentage for "staff" The WSOP did this year - The Mirage does in their weekly tournaments. If they are collecting off the top I don't feel the need to double dip.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:57 AM

This question keeps coming up in this forum and there have been many good responses for guidelines but basically I hate the whole system.

Not many players really know whats proper and many of the lower finishers in the money don't tip at all. That makes it top heavy for the high finishers. The answer for the Industry is to just add a small fee onto the entry fee and inform the players that the dealer tips have already been put aside. This will make it fair for the dealer and players alike.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:59 AM

Here is a link to a good conversation concerning tipping with some excellent responses:

tipping
Old 07-07-2004, 07:34 PM

I tipped $500 when i won $20,000 at Foxwoods. I saw $15,000 of it after taxes. 3% of my winnings I figure. If they took out dealer tokes, they could have made a bit more, since I wasn't taxed for it. Plus the dealers would lose track of antes and would not move things along, so no need to be extra generous here.

If they are taking 3% out already, as many tourneys are, or they offer pre-tipping for extra chips, I'd tip considerably less, if at all.

But the key point here is to think about it before you get in that akward situation. I'm glad I did.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:03 PM

I notoriously over tip a bit. I won $2500 recently at Foxwoods and gave $200, and I won $340 in a small tourney and tipped $40. Dealing is a hard job and they put up with a ton of [censored]. They have old men yelling at them, they suck in all that 2nd hand smoke, they have no life because they work crazy hours, so I look out for them when I'm winning. If I could just tip the good ones, I would, but since they pool the tips I think lovers of the game should take care of the dealers so they dont go out and find real jobs where they can sleep normal hours.

That link to Fossilman is funny knowing that he hadnt won the big event yet. I wonder if he lightened up after winning $5 mil or if he stuck to his guns and gave nothing above the 3% Binions held out up front.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:17 PM

Thanks guys this was really helpful. Now all I need to do is win a tournament at Foxwoods to put this info to use. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]