Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 09:51 PM

Default Re: Marcel Luske KK

Was pretty easy to read what it was though. I mean it was either that or aces. Still was hilarious though.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Was pretty easy to read what it was though. I mean it was either that or aces. Still was hilarious though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, must have been. Those are the *only* two hands somebody at that stage of a major tournament would have in that position.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Was pretty easy to read what it was though. I mean it said it right there on the screen.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-21-2005, 11:06 AM

If it happened online in chat, someone would be ranting about how that site was rigged.

With no disrespect to Marcel's showmanship, did ESPN show the no doubt dozens of incorrect, verbalized hole card guesses made that day by players folding to a raise ?

The practice of "asking/telling" someone what they hold has become a too common annoying, incredibly ineffective tactic in live games.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If it happened online in chat, someone would be ranting about how that site was rigged.

With no disrespect to Marcel's showmanship, did ESPN show the no doubt dozens of incorrect, verbalized hole card guesses made that day by players folding to a raise ?

The practice of "asking/telling" someone what they hold has become a too common annoying, incredibly ineffective tactic in live games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you see this? If you saw the clip it is obvious that the guy was crushed by this.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:05 PM

i have done this a handful of times, nobody gave me <3 or credit for my mad guessing skills =/
Old 10-21-2005, 04:09 PM

"If you saw the clip it is obvious that the guy was crushed by this"

My experience and comments were directed to live games, where the typical "guesser" likely gives up much more information about himself and his play that he gets, simply by formulating the question. Such "guessing" is pretty well correlated with other table behaviors underscoring an infatuation with televised poker, which means tournaments, which may often mean NOT cash games.

Just my observations, ...

I have nothing against table talk really. The cash games here in Costa Rica have some players of Marcel's caliber, but the guys who habitually make that sort of in-action guess are not those better cash players. There is a lot of post-hand discussion among some really good players when cards are shown down. The discussion quality is very high and there are a lot of lessons learned if you pay attention.

Truepoker CEO
Old 10-21-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you see this? If you saw the clip it is obvious that the guy was crushed by this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, no, he wasn't. He was disappointed by the fact that he didn't get to stack off with his KK, period. Relatively easy read, he said, as he had not been playing nutty at all, just solid poker. He said Marcel is a great player, but the read was pretty easy. ( David Troung is a casual acquaintance of mine, and I asked him about this at WSOP 2005, but I knew the answer before he even said it.)

What hands do you think people raise with in early position, get reraised immediately to their left, and then reraise back to the reraiser?

Just requires a bit of logical thought, people.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:13 PM

I can't image too many people 3-betting Marcel that deep without a monster. C'mon, was it really that big of a deal? Nice laydown and all but please.......
Old 10-21-2005, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't image too many people 3-betting Marcel that deep without a monster. C'mon, was it really that big of a deal? Nice laydown and all but please.......

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know man, he's a pretty good player. I was playing with him one time and UTG player raised pre-flop and got one called by UTG+2. UTG+3 re-raised and then UTG+4 re-re-raised. Marcel was UTG+5 and put in the fourth raise, all-in. It takes balls to make a raise like that, even though he had the table covered. What a great read that his aces were the best hand. He even made KK (on the button) fold. Of course a K flopped so KK would have sucked out but despite that unfortunately for Marcel a Q rivered and one of the players had QQ.