Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 10:48 PM

Default Re: WSOP \"My son dropped out of college to internet poker and we\'re pr

[ QUOTE ]
parents should not be proud of this, that doesnt mean college kids shouldnt play poker, but if i dropped out of college to play poker professionally unless i become incredibly rich (making 200K a year is not rich) i would view my life as a failure in many ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok because the average US worker makes around $40,000 per year. Horray college.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:08 AM

Default Re: WSOP \"My son dropped out of college to internet poker and we\'re pr

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets not forget the parents footing that bill or the students themselves paying back thos loans for 10 years to get out of debt in their effort to "get ahead"
Old 08-04-2005, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets not forget the parents footing that bill or the students themselves paying back thos loans for 10 years to get out of debt in their effort to "get ahead"

[/ QUOTE ]

That beats two of the main alternatives:

1. Don't play poker as a pro, and don't go to school. Just work at Burger King for the rest of your life. Of course, some people will do better than this, but they are certainly not the norm.

Or

2. Try to earn your living as a poker player, and waste part of your life away while you are a loser at the game. Of course, some people will win and do fine, but they are the exception, not the norm.

Also, your example of paying to get out debt often isn't the case.

Finally, there are more reasons to go to school besides trying to get ahead or make more money. The most obvious reason is to have an increased amount of knowledge. Despite the amount of money that is spent on it, the public school education system in this country is a joke. The average high school graduate has no command of history, mathematics, science, argumentation/debate/logic, and even the English language. After all those years of school, far too many students don't even know how to properly study for something. I had a lot of years in school where I barely learned a thing, and I don't believe my experience is uncommon at all.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:38 AM

I just don't get these recurring debates. For some people it's probably a great thing to attend college. For other people it's not. To argue otherwise or to assume that one knows what's best for everyone seems ridiculous to me.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:48 PM

Not advising to not go to school, just seems that the more the education, the more likely someone is to work under a government/research, etc job, that will not provide them a wealthy lifestyle, whereas, I see many people with "some college" getting fast high paing jobs(now well see how the career works, but seems backward). Your definition of public school in America is spot on, really need to be privately educated to be even remotely ready upon graduation for the work required for further school and/or work of any kind.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
parents should not be proud of this, that doesnt mean college kids shouldnt play poker, but if i dropped out of college to play poker professionally unless i become incredibly rich (making 200K a year is not rich) i would view my life as a failure in many ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be surprised if the average poker player who tries to earn a living from the game even makes $40,000 a year. There are so many losers at the game, and so many people who are undisciplined with their money, that it's a really difficult thing to do for many folks out there.