Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 06:34 PM

Default Re: River play, heads up, OOP

Hmm, he's very aggressive after the flop but passive before...if I'm reading that correctly he would have let you know if he beat this board yes?

Then again, what is he calling with here that you beat if you bet...seems like a bit of a paradox [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2005, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, he's very aggressive after the flop but passive before...if I'm reading that correctly he would have let you know if he beat this board yes?

Then again, what is he calling with here that you beat if you bet...seems like a bit of a paradox [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well he probably call with AK. If he called the turn with JJ other pocket pair he is calling the river.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet the river and pray he wasn't sandbagging and then raises you. He may have been chasing overcards and you hope he'd fold to the river bet.

If he is that tight though I wouldn't be surprised if he showed you a pocket pair 10 or higher.

I'd be weary of 3-betting pf in the BB because you're first to act on the rest of the betting rounds. But since you did I'd bet to the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it would be great if he called a river bet w/ just overcards. The thing is, the only overcards he can have are exactly AK, and although I think he's likely to call a bet quite often with that hand, he might be more likely to bet with it. (I make more by checking and calling when he has AK than I do by betting. Maybe.)

I'm also fairly certain he would cap pre-flop with a big pair.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:36 PM

Yea, I'm not understanding how he is being "aggressive" post-flop if he is just calling you all the way.

Seems like he just wants to find out who has the higher pocket pair.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:37 PM

I really wanted to say bet, but he sounds like someone who you feel could try and blow you off your hand with a river bluffraise. If your read is that he will bet pair hands he was going to call with, and possibly A-high, then I like a check/call against a player that aggressive.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You gotta tells us this stuff in the OP, b/c what it really comes down to what you mean by aggressive post flop: does he bluff raise? Is he going to bet JJ or AK when checked to, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's not be unreasonable. If we knew the answer to all of those questions then there's nothing to think about.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you bet. A high and smaller pairs will call you more times than he has a Q. But is this guy aggressive enough to bet more than those when checked to?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder the same thing. An aggressive player will probably conclude that we're trying to induce a bluff unless we've been getting sexy on the river a lot, but does that prevent him from betting his PPs? He's likely to be thinking that:

1) we want to see a showdown after we check since we probably bet most of the hands we're content to fold hoping we'll push him off a better no-pair hand.

2) we might be giving up

I agree with Miles that it's better to bet if he shows passive tendencies. I think this decision is closer.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm fairly confident he would bet the river with any pair he deemed good enough to raise with pre-flop.

In other words, I would expect him to bet JJ-88 a vast majority of the time, and AK much of the time as well, though not as often.

[/ QUOTE ]

You gotta tells us this stuff in the OP, b/c what it really comes down to what you mean by aggressive post flop: does he bluff raise? Is he going to bet JJ or AK when checked to, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not too worried about a bluff-raise, but I guess it's always a possibility. Mostly I think he just value bets a lot.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:40 PM

I guess I don't know this without a lot more information but if he's passive preflop what pocket pairs is he raising with UTG?
Old 10-24-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I don't know this without a lot more information but if he's passive preflop what pocket pairs is he raising with UTG?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question.

Also note that he raised but didn't cap.