Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 02:49 AM

Default Re: How do you guys go on such insane downswings?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Because many players here play more hands in a month than you have in your 6 year career. Also, $10/$20 live is like $1/$2 online.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play 20k hands a month online.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then I would surmise that *IF* you are telling the truth, you are probably one of those players that thinks he needs a 2,000BB bankroll to move up. Are you grinding out money multi-tabling some low limit?
Old 11-26-2005, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've played poker for about 6 years and had one downswing of over 150BB. My pro friends almost never have a 200+ downswing (i.e., like once a decade).

[/ QUOTE ]

If this was true, YOU and your PRO friends would be taking the cash away from Ivey and the boys at the Bellagio big game by now, why aren't you?.

Actually, you'd probably own part of the Bellagio, since you'd only need a 200BB bankroll at every limit, moving up say every month, (you make 200BB a month right?).

As for the rest of us 99% players that have or know they will experience this variance, I guess were just not good enough.

regards
Old 11-26-2005, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Because many players here play more hands in a month than you have in your 6 year career. Also, $10/$20 live is like $1/$2 online.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play 20k hands a month online.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then I would surmise that *IF* you are telling the truth, you are probably one of those players that thinks he needs a 2,000BB bankroll to move up. Are you grinding out money multi-tabling some low limit?

[/ QUOTE ]

I play the 15 up to the 100, actually. Last few months have been the 30 and 50 mostly, as the wait for the 100 is usually nuts (though the 50 is getting really bad too). I post in high stakes usually.

Btw, I didn't make this post to whip it out. I'm a decent player, but certainly not world class. I don't, however, tilt. Ever. So maybe that explains things. And I moved up rapidly (years ago), on a short roll, because I really didn't even think 300BB was necessary (still don't).

I'm honestly confused about why such good players seem to play (or run, or both) so very badly so very often. So let's not have a flame war pls.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my theory: Anyone that goes on a downswing, it's mostly due to poor play and not variance, but you can't admit it! I play higih stakes NL and have never lost money two days in a row.

[/ QUOTE ]

Limit is much more swingy. But at the sametime I agree in a sense. Tilt has a great deal to do with downswings.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't, however, tilt. Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a very significant reason. That is a skill that very few people can actually master.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a theory (being too tight and slightly weak magnifies downswings greatly), but I'd like more opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know about limit but I think in NL variance is vastly overestimated on this forum. Even if CaptZeeBoo is making fun as usual he can be right. I just cant imagine losing 10xbuyins while playing good poker at least up to 5/10NL level. I lost even more few times but I played like crap and I admit it.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:34 AM

Obviously not tilting is marvelous, but if you play short-handed poker I don't care how good you are---you will have 200BB downswings pretty regularly.

In my last 30k hands at 10/20 and 15/30 5-max, I'm grinding out a respectable 2.5BB/100. But during these 30k hands I have had four 100BB downswings and a 250BB downswing.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:36 AM

I deal with it by playing with a bankroll far too huge for the limits I play, so huge downswings barely dent my bankroll.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:00 AM

I have lost 3-5 stacks in NL before. When this happens I take a small break because most of the time I take big hits while on tilt. Over the past few months I have worked on the biggest leak I could see which was playing while tilting. Some things that have helped me from tilting are playing more then one table at a time.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:09 AM

You don't understand math.