Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2004, 12:00 AM

Default PC Network help needed

I bought a new desktop today and am having trouble connecting to the internet. I utilize the same network cable as for the other pc. I know I am getting a signal and the cable is good. I tried going through control panel/internet options but? Charter Pipeline is my ISP. I thought I would try here prior to returning the pc. Thanks for any help you may provide.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4U
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2004, 12:06 AM

Default Re: PC Network help needed

Since you said network I assume you are hooked to other computers in the house via a router or hub. If this is so you have to reconfigure the IP addresses for the new computer. I'm not particularly sure what your setup is so if you could elaborate I might be able to help more.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:12 AM

I bought this computer today and hooked everything up and now my router does not work. I disconnected the router and am running off of one pc. My 'old one' works fine but the new pc won't connect to the internet.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4U
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2004, 12:24 AM

Does the Router still have blinking lights, most importantly the one that says power.If so the router still works, do this:

A. Go to the Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, then Network Connection

B.Select Local Area Network then click the Properties button.

C. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties.

D.Select Obtain IP adress automatically then hit ok.

E. Restart.

Post what happens then or if you have already done this much let me know there are several steps to this and it most likely is just one you missed. No need to send the computer back most likely.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:41 AM

I followed your advice and still get the page cant be displayed message. I did try to 'repair the local area connection'. It returned a message 'windows count not finish repairing the problem because the following action could not be completed: Renewing your IP address. For assistance contact the person who manages your network',

Thank you very much for any help you may provide!

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4U
Old 11-27-2004, 12:52 AM

Srry last post on this before i have to go to work but I will check it tommorow.

go to IE and log in to your router (enter the ip address of the router, usually i92.168.1.1)

it will prompt you for a user name and password. If you havent changed anythig the user name should be blank and the password is admin.

In the setup tab click obtain IP adress automatically then save the settings.

If this doesn't work then you have a static IP adress and there is a whole different set of instructions.

Good luck.
Old 11-27-2004, 01:13 AM

I am not sure if you have fixed your problem so I would tell you a way to start to go at this problem.

First go to the start menu, on the right side panel that comes up click on My Network Places. Choose view network connections, then slide your mouse icon over the local area connection label.(do not click on your mouse or you will open a window you do not need right now)

When you selected the local area connection a details tab should have extended down on the left hand side of the screen. Write down the first 3 digits of the IP address if one is showing, post them back if the system is not working after you do a couple of more things.

Right click the Local area connection tab and choose properties, then click the advanced tab at the top. Click on the settings button for the windows firewall,turn the firewall off. ( you can resecure the system later first you have to make sure it can connect) When your done go back to the local area connections icon.

Once more right click on the local area connections icon, this time choose repair. When it is done again note the first 3 digits of the ip address on the left side of the screen. Post back the result, and the IP address numbers and I will come up with some other things to check or try.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:34 AM

I just checked a clean install of windows XP and some of the menus I described might not appear exactly as I described them. Here I was trying to give specific advice to make it easier and a clean install looks different than the machine I used for reference.

The good news is it probably is the firewall, that machine did exactly what yours did when connected to a router.

Short version, turn off the firewall, then use the repair this connection that you said you tried in a previous post. That should get you online, afterwards you can turn the firewall back on and it should not cause you a problem.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:50 AM

Jim:

This maybe a stupid question, but did you Unplug everything.
1) wait 5 min. before plugging in the cable modem, although if the lights flash you are OK
2) turn on cable modem only
3) plus it into hub
4) turn hub on
5) restart each computer

Then if that fails, restart computer again.

XP should always find it.

Also, make sure you have Find IP automatically set
1- start button
2- connect to
3- Wireless or Local
(you may have both .. choose the one without the red X)
4 - Properties
5 - Internet Protocal(TCP/IP)
6 - click radio buttons that allow
--> Obtain IP automatically
--> Obtain DNS automatically
(you need both)

Then XP should find it, if not, restart again, otherwise you can call me at home. PM in the morning after 8 am EST
Old 11-27-2004, 04:04 AM

1) Are you sharing the connection with a router-switch combo between multiple computers? If yes you probably need to do a few things like making sure your network card is installed properly, turning on DHCP, making sure the light is flashing for your NIC, try pinging the router, etc.

2) If you can only hook up one computer to the internet at a time you're better off looking for set up instructions on your ISP's web site or calling tech support. The network settings for each ISP can be very different.