Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2005, 11:32 AM

Default Big pot, but how often am I good?

Villain is tight and a tad passive, but not that many hands.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

River: (10 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14 BB

I am wondering if this may be a leak. On the one hand, pot is quite big. On the other, how often am I getting check-raised on the river by a hand I beat? Now, given that I don't have that much info on villain, probably a call. What if he's a slightly passive, tight and unimaginative player over, say 200 hands? Still call?
Old 09-18-2005, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Big pot, but how often am I good?

I never fold an overpair HU getting 14:1.

By the way I would 3-bet this flop. Waiting for the turn to raise is not good on this board. If villian is checkraising TP or MP then there a 4 overcards (or more) that can scare him on the turn when you raise the turn. So, against a tighter player you may fold him on the turn when you really want a call. But, if you 3-bet the flop he is more likely to call you down with the same hand.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Big pot, but how often am I good?

Yeah, I figured folding is bad given the pot size (13:1 actually), but I was just thinking, how often am I getting check-raised by a worse hand? I just don't see it happening almost ever by a passive-ish player, but I'm calling anyway.

Also, as you appear to be an ND fan, I strongly suggest playing the Charlie Weis drinking game. Everytime he's on screen, you drink until he's off. Also, drink whenever his name is mentioned. My friends and I did it during the first half of the ND-State game on Saturday...no one made it to the second half.