Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2005, 01:23 PM

Default Screw pot odds, I\'m calling

Lots of non-standard plays by me here. 6-max hand but fairly multiway so I posted here, plus I'm just used to posting here.

Algunas preguntas...

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP posts a blind of $3.
Hero calls, MP (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, MP calls.

First, I usually (never) open-limp in 6-max. Table is fairly loose and we have a poster, so I'm highly doubting my ability to either steal the blinds or get HU against my new favorite player, the one who calls with anything preflop but folds liberally postflop. So is this terrible, slightly negative, or ok?

Flop: (8.33 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, MP folds.

2. On the flop, PFR is a somewhat light raiser (let's call him 48/24 or something, so whatever range that might entail in late position with a limper and a poster). So what do you think of my flop call here?

Turn: (5.66 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, BB calls.

Standard, I should think.

River: (11.66 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Uh, well that is an interesting river card. And as I look back over the action now...I think I see the correct play. What do you think my river line should have been?

Final Pot: 17.66 BB
Old 07-09-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Screw pot odds, I\'m calling

It is likely that the CO will raise, so I call then 3-bet.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:35 PM

Yeah very good on the river, and once BB doesn't 3-bet, he doesn't have a 2 (and CO almost certainly doesn't).

What about the flop call?
Old 07-09-2005, 02:41 PM

#1. Don't open limp in 6 max.
#2. Muck 22-55 in 6 max in EP. They are marginal hands that need a good flop.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:48 PM

I'd agree with both of these, but at a loose table and with a poster, you don't think I'll get a 4 or 5 way hand most of the time (which will clearly be profitable, given everyone's looseness, once I flop a set)?
Old 07-09-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
once I turn a set) I had no business turning ?

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:00 PM

I was wondering about that. You don't think I have the best hand some of the time, and/or that CO checks the turn through with AQ/AJ/AT/QJ or whatever he has reasonably often to make the call ok? I have 3 outs (2 for the set, plus maybe 1 for a bddoor straight) at 10:1...still no good? I should have added that BB was ridiculously loose, so he could have anything.

Legit question, I'm not trying to defend a bad play.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't think I have the best hand some of the time, and/or that CO checks the turn through with AQ/AJ/AT/QJ or whatever he has reasonably often to make the call ok?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both "maybe." I'd also be a bit weary of the call before it gets to you.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:12 PM

Fold preflop - you're going to get raised and have your odds for this kind of hand destroyed.

Fold the flop. With a preflop raiser, a king on the board, and the Big blind calling (so he's got some part of the flop too) there's a really good chance you're drawing to 2 outs. There is no reason to call here.

On the turn you hit your 2-outer and raised. Did you plan to fold here if you didn't?

On the river, looks like the BB made 2 pair with A5 or something and maybe CO has AK and that would account for the raise. Regardless, why would you not raise here? What hands are you concerned about (AA and KK)? I'm sure CO, given his stats, would have 3-bet the turn with either of those hands.