Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 03:44 AM

Default Blind defense

I think my blind defense needs some work. Two questions, both from a live passive/typical 4/8 game. First, I have A 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the SB. Folded to the button who raises. Fold, call, 3 bet? Next, UTG raises, all fold to my BB of A6o. Should I play this?

Thanks
Old 09-05-2005, 04:01 AM

Default Re: Blind defense

Easy folds. I fold that second hand in the game you described if the button raised.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:59 AM

1st hand, i might make a loose call.

2nd hand is easy fold. you aren't really defending as the raise is from UTG.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:27 AM

In the second one you are getting 3:1 on a call, if you put the vilan on KK doesnt this mean it is a call? I call this one most times, hell you could even be in front to KQ-KTs or am i wrong.

The button raise one is very player dependant if he will raise with junk to try and steal go ahead and three bet, but never flat call.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:21 AM

I fold both.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In the second one you are getting 3:1 on a call, if you put the vilan on KK doesnt this mean it is a call? I call this one most times, hell you could even be in front to KQ-KTs or am i wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

A raise from UTG is often a sign of a really strong hand. What do you do if you spike your ace? If has a strong ace himself, it will cost you dearly since you are dominated, if he has any of the hands you mentioned he will fold it early, and you win a very small pot. If an ace doesn't flop, it really doesn't matter what he has since he probably will bet the flop anyway, and you cannot possibly call if the flop didn't hit you. There's really no flops that's good for you, except an unlikely two pair or trips.

This is the clearest fold in the book.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:23 AM

I would never play A6 in the BB against an UTG raise, unless against a complete psycopath.
He will have an ace very often, so in order to win without making a pure bluff you pretty much have to :
A: Flop and ace
B: Be lucky that he hasnt got you dominated.
C: Take the hand far enough to make him realize you actually have an ace, which often will take several bets.
All in all not really worth it, although you initially get 1:3.5

(If I for some reason really want to play it, I would often rather scare the * out of him by 3-betting out of position.
That might set up the bluff we will most often need to win).

I most often call or even raise A2s in the SB agaist a Button raiser. This is not only to win the hand, as I think it is probably slightly -EV against even loose raiser, but also to keep him from stealing to much. If the Button is very tight and I have seen him pass on several steal options or otherwise play very passively, I fold though.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:45 AM

I would play the first one. Button could be raising with anything trying to steal your blinds.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:48 PM

Thanks for the replies. I folded both of these hands but agree that the A2s is more playable. Against a more aggressive opponent I would probably 3 bet.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:51 PM

3 bet the A2s if you think the button is capable of stealing. Some players don't adjust their raising standards to position. But, against most players I 3 bet and lead any flop.

Fold the A6o to the UTG raiser. In this situation your pot odds are 3.5 - 1, but in reality they are much worse. You're going to pay off a better ace if it hits, and won't get paid of if your ace is good.