Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 11:49 PM

Default Ugh - HU play needs some work

In this hand I was operating on the WA/WB principle, but was it the right place? My original intention was to bet the river, but when the A fell I switched to check-calling. Villain is on the loosish side, and aggressive, but not overly so.

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (5.20 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 7.20 BB
Old 10-13-2005, 11:50 PM

Default Re: Ugh - HU play needs some work

Prob a fold after he bets the river.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Prob a fold after he bets the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugg. On this board I don't like this river fold. I think you are ahead or splitting way too often here. This guy is raising a ton of hands from MP2 and I'm value betting any K here if I'm the villain.

I would stick to the WA/WB line. I b/f this river.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:56 AM

I check/raise this flop 100% of the time, unless I bet/3-bet it. With the drawy flop that seems taylor-made for bluffing at, I don't expect him to fold a 2- or 3-outer anyway, at least not before the river.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I check/raise this flop 100% of the time, unless I bet/3-bet it. With the drawy flop that seems taylor-made for bluffing at, I don't expect him to fold a 2- or 3-outer anyway, at least not before the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will c/r this flop a ton as well and actually don't play WA/WB that much (probably should more).

C/R the flop can get tricky on the turn though. We are getting raised here a ton on the turn and I think are fairly committed to calling down. I would pop most turn cards here with K if I'm the villain. So I guess actually we don't mind getting raised here too much as we are either splitting or ahead of everything but AK.

So yeah c/r, then b/c is my standard line. I don't think this river changes that much either once you play this line.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:08 AM

OK, so this is where I get a little lost - when is it more advantageous to go for the WA/WB line, or a more aggressive line. If he's on a flush draw our flop CR doesn't really acheive much, and if he isn't on a flush draw we may well screw ourselves by him folding when behind and calling when ahead. Why does the presence of the flush draw make the aggressive line so much clearer?
Old 10-14-2005, 02:28 AM

It's not only the flush draw...it's the combination of the flush draw and the one big/paired little flop. These factors all make it very easy for your opponent to rationalize calling down with an underpair or even ace high, simply because this is the textbook flop for a semibluff or even outright bluff.

Part of the reason that I check/raise this nearly 100% of the time with KQ is that I would also check/raise it with two spades, any pocket pair, or even any two cards if I felt my opponent was capable of laying down an UI ace.

True, he might fold an underpair to the K or something like AQ/AJ to our flop check/raise, especially when we lead the turn as well. But he might also check through the turn if we just check/call the flop, and then fold to a river bet with many of the same hands. Most opponents will at least call the flop raise before folding, for form's sake.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:24 AM

check raise that bastard on a no A turn, you can always fold to a 3-bet. but I definetly still lead the riv, because check calling is not an option and if he raises fold simple as that. win the most possible lose the least should be your line here
Old 10-14-2005, 04:02 AM

If you had position here, I would say your play is weak. Because you are OOP though, I'd follow this line.

Lets say you had position. In that case, raising the turn would be reasonable, because it would be very difficult for villain to 3 bet you OOP with anything that didn't beat trips. Also, if you had position, you would plan to bet when checked to on the river. However, when the ace came off you would often want to check behind.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:29 AM

Excuse my ignorance but what is the WA/WB principle?