Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 12:51 AM

Default Middle Pocket Pairs in a 3/6 game.

Here is my question, in a 3/6 game do you raise pre-flop with middle pocket pairs 10's - 7's and if you do is it only in late postion?
Old 09-29-2005, 01:12 AM

Default Re: Middle Pocket Pairs in a 3/6 game.

it depends
Old 09-29-2005, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is my question, in a 3/6 game do you raise pre-flop with middle pocket pairs 10's - 7's and if you do is it only in late postion?

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got to be more specific.

At a super-tight table, I'll raise 77 under the gun (then I'll leave the table for a better game when I pick up only the blinds).

TT I'll raise and reraise most of the time. The one exception is when I am in the blinds at a table that plays ultra-loose postflop and more than 4 or so players are already in.

First in the pot from MP1 on I raise every time.

Then again, I've discovered lately that I suck at poker, so take my line with not just a grain of salt but a whole pillar of it.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:14 AM

wow, so much and yet so little, thanks!
Old 09-29-2005, 03:30 AM

I raise 77 UTG
Old 09-29-2005, 06:34 AM

One of the benefits of having a high PFR% is that it becomes so much more difficult to put you on a hand. It's more fun to play aggressive and i'm sure i don't appreciate the full significance of the problems i'm creating but still, i'd rather raise these medium pairs. I pray to flop a set, if i do - great i'll get fantastic action. If the flop comes A 5 3 i'll try to push the callers off a hand but if it's coordinated in the least then just check fold and move on to the next hand.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:21 AM

is your avatar a picture of G.I Gurdjieff?
Old 09-29-2005, 09:26 AM

I usually cut it off at 88's. If the table is tight you can usually get heads up or three way which increases your winning chances quite a bit. If the table is loose enough then raising gets a lot of money in the pot for set value.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
is your avatar a picture of G.I Gurdjieff?

[/ QUOTE ] I think so
Old 09-29-2005, 01:45 PM

I would like to see a large set of results of playing 77 utg. I am pretty sure that it is a losing hand in this position. While raising here can limit the field (not really what you want unless it is heads up) the best that can happen in most cases is picking up the blinds. This is a great play as 77 utg is surely not worth more than .5BB per hand. However, in most cases, this will not happen and you will be out of position with a mediocre hand. I think this falls into the same category as iso raising with small pocket pairs preflop. Only the best players in the game will be able to make these plays profitable in the long run. They require excellent postflop skill. If you do not have the skill just fold and save yourself a BB. I am not saying not to raise here, just saying that it shouldn't be used like a chart; i.e. oh pocket 7s, I should raise - NOPE. Very situational and game dependent. FOR THE LARGE MAJORITY OF PLAYERS I BELIEVE YOU SHOULD REGULARLY (NOT ALWAYS OF COURSE) LIMP OR FOLD 77 UTG.