Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 11:41 AM

Default Re: PP15: i fold a flush draw

What is it in particular about this flop texture and the action that makes a higher flush draw loom larger than it otherwise would?

The three-bet is the only thing that's out of the ordinary, but that move contra-indicates a flush draw for that player. It's consistent with a low Axh trying to buy outs for his A, or maybe Kxh trying protect, but is that enough to get us out of the hand?
Old 09-12-2005, 12:08 PM

you could very well be against a better flush draw, and with 3 bets from your right, its posibly dangerous. You're only getting 6:1 from the pot at this moment and although the later street may yield more money, you run risk of a better flush, or not hitting yours at all.

but maybe my math is wrong, so i want to ask what pecent of the time is there a flush draw on the board and you hold 2 medium flush cards but are up against a higher flush draw, its a small # for sure, right?

w/ all that limping pre-flop though... i dont know.

i'll read the rest of the thread and see what the arguement against folding was here. (just wanted to post my thoughts before they became tainted by a better player's answer)

(edited the odds i wrote, im really not that stupid, just careless)
Old 09-12-2005, 12:29 PM

Actually, the exceptions I mentioned are more significant than I thought.

Any four-flush with an A, K, or Q could be three-betting here, and those hands account for a large percentage of the possible four-flushes out there. So, the 3-bet cannot be interpreted as excluding a flush draw for that player. But, I'm still curious, is there anything about that bet, or any other action on the flop, that suggests a flush draw is more likely than it otherwise would be?

edit--

Is it just that the expansive betting suggests lack of concern over the 2-suited flop, which leaves us more vulnerable to a re-draw (because the Ah or Kh is certainly out there) and increases the chances of our drawing dead?

Someone help. I feel dumb.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:11 PM

If I give you 2% equity when your flush draw is dead and 37% equity when your flush draw is live and always make you put in 4 bets on the flop, I think your flush draw needs to be live about 65% of the time to break even on four way flop action and about 51% of the time on five way action. Then the overlay from the pot drops those each down a couple of %. I think calling's the way to go, but it's close.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:22 PM

Are you counting redraws to a full house in that 37%?
Old 09-12-2005, 01:32 PM

It's an estimate of total equity, so yeah, redraws against and runner-runner for. It's a WAG from me. Take it for what it's worth.