Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 05:15 AM

Default Help learning some odds

I'm tryin to use more odds while i'm playing but i'm still a little sketchy on how it works or if i'm even doin what i think i'm doin right. So he's a situation to illustrate my point. Was in a 10 person sng blinds 50/100. I had 1,050 chips. folded to me on the button w/ QT so I took my position and made it 300 to pick up some blinds. The small blind reraise all in for 460 more. So the pot was about 1,200 for about 400 more... so i'm getting 3:1 to call? Figuring the sb might push with anything thinking i'm on a steal i hopefully got 2 live cards and a 3:2 (or 2:3?) dog. Is this the right way to do this? and if so is a call justified? Thanks much for any help, and if i'm wrong here pleasse let me know, thanks
Old 06-21-2005, 07:27 AM

Default Re: Help learning some odds

you could buy some books
Old 06-21-2005, 07:50 AM

So you dont know the answer then!
Old 06-21-2005, 09:28 AM

before learning odds, learn not to raise preflop with QT, not to ponder calling all in's with QT, and not to be so stupid.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:46 AM

I think you'd have better luck getting responses if you grabbed a hand history and used the converter to present the hand and add your reads and thoughts. Indicate you are interested in odds analysis. People will then gladly analyze the hand from their point of view. Check which forum would be best to post in also.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:49 AM

Wow, rough crowd.

I'll join in. Cross posting is, I believe, frowned upon.

JunkHead
Old 06-21-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Was in a 10 person sng blinds 50/100. I had 1,050 chips. folded to me on the button w/ QT so I took my position and made it 300 to pick up some blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
before learning odds, learn not to raise preflop with QT, not to ponder calling all in's with QT, and not to be so stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do not raise preflop with QT in this situation, you might want to slow down on the insults. like fast.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm tryin to use more odds while i'm playing but i'm still a little sketchy on how it works or if i'm even doin what i think i'm doin right. So he's a situation to illustrate my point. Was in a 10 person sng blinds 50/100. I had 1,050 chips. folded to me on the button w/ QT so I took my position and made it 300 to pick up some blinds. The small blind reraise all in for 460 more. So the pot was about 1,200 for about 400 more... so i'm getting 3:1 to call? Figuring the sb might push with anything thinking i'm on a steal i hopefully got 2 live cards and a 3:2 (or 2:3?) dog. Is this the right way to do this? and if so is a call justified? Thanks much for any help, and if i'm wrong here pleasse let me know, thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

OP -- it's sounds like you have a pretty good understanding of pot odds and their implications, actually. There's a couple of other things going on here:

- you say sb "might" push with any two. I'm not sure what you're basing that on, or what reads you have, but I don't necessarily see that as being true.

- you have a decent hand QT, against two random hands you are a clear favorite. However, it is an easily dominated hand. If your opponent has a hand like AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT, AK, AQ, AT, KQ, KT you are in big trouble -- 4:1 or worse. against a small pocket pair you're about a 6:5 underdog.

- i checked your math and you are rounding favorably twice, which is 1160:460 -- more like 2.5:1. I think this is a pretty easy fold, this early in the SNG

- post this in the 1-table tournaments forum.

Lots of study and lots of play, that's about all I can recommend. people are often a-holes to new posters, not sure why, just ignore it and dont get in flamefests if you can avoid.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lots of study and lots of play, that's about all I can recommend. people are often a-holes to new posters, not sure why, just ignore it and dont get in flamefests if you can avoid.

[/ QUOTE ]