Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2004, 03:09 AM

Default Yet another starting hand question O8

Been a lurker here for a bit, and I have come to value the opinions expressed here...

I was criticized for playing a couple of hands today and would like some input-from a bit more objective view. (Forgive me if I don't use all the right terminology, or wrong info...first post and still learning.)

So $10 fixed O8 single table tourney. 5 people left. I'm am in the lead with approx 3800 in chips, more than twice the stack of the guy in second. Table has been pretty loose, with some pathetic bluffs/raises early on.... but is tightening up as blinds are now 50/100.

I'm first to act and limp in with [Ks 8h 8s 7h]

Couple people fold, OTB raises, SB folds, BB calls for 37 more (putting him all in)..so I call to see the flop.

Terrible idea?

I know it's not the greatest hand, but this is not pot limit or NL....is it a really bad starting hand though, given the circumstances?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-20-2004, 04:44 AM

Default Re: Yet another starting hand question O8

i would definitely be mucking a hand like that. i'm currently using the hutchinson point system to determine what starting hands to play, and it seems to work pretty well.

hutchinson pt system

this site has a good starting hand article as well:

low limit omaha starting hands

and here:

lou krieger omaha article
Old 12-20-2004, 09:14 AM

That hand is pure junk. And you are in the worst position, acting first preflop.

The worst cards in Omaha/8 are 7s, 8s, and 9s. You have three of them.

In Omaha/8 you would like to have the nuts or a draw to the nuts. There are very few flops where this will be the case. I would fold this hand from any position including the small blind.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this site has a good starting hand article as well:

low limit starting hands

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with that site is that they do not differentiate between non-suited, single-suited, and double-suited hands in their starting tables.

Many of the hands listed are not playable when they are not suited. You will surely lose money calling multiple raises with 23QQ not suited, as they recommend.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:10 PM

That hand is not "not the greatest hand" it's an absolute junk hand. I'm going to disagree with the above poster and take out 9s from that list, but 7s and 8s are death cards in O8.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:21 PM

The 9 is the worst card in O8b. With a 7 and an 8, he could make a low.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:42 PM

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

As a player of mostly hold em, I guess I really need to adjust my mindset switching to this game.

When I saw my pocket, I thought hmm, possible king high flush, pocket pair and suited connectors...not bad (in a shorthanded limit game) if I hit the flop right. Which I did, which really irritated the other player (who still won the low)

I haven't played any other high/low games....so I will study up on the complications this brings to starting hand choices.

Thanks for the comments and the links. I will continue to study up.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The 9 is the worst card in O8b. With a 7 and an 8, he could make a low.

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of low can one make with a 7 and an 8 exactly? Maybe in a heads up situation and even then they're pretty useless. At least with a 9 if you hit there's a good chance a low won't be out. In a full handed game I generally play any 4 cards that are 9 and above if there's at least a single suit.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:08 PM

Yes, its the worse possible low, but sometimes, just having a low is all you need. Granted it doesn't happen often, but it does happen, and thus having a 7 and 8 in your hand is way better than having a 7,9 or 8,9.

But it really doesn't matter, because I don't play many hands with 7,8, or 9s in them.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was criticized for playing a couple of hands today

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Sam - I wonder who criticized you. Usually opponents who criticize would have done better had you done something else. Their comments are usually more self-serving than for your benefit. However, there is often at least a grain of truth in their remarks.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm am in the lead with approx 3800 in chips, more than twice the stack of the guy in second.

blinds are now 50/100.

I'm first to act and limp in with [Ks 8h 8s 7h]

[/ QUOTE ]

(1) You would do well to put some thought into starting hand selection.

(2) Tend to play fewer hands from early position than from late position.

(3) When you are the chip leader in a tournament, use your chip lead to your advantage. In other words, use your chip lead to intimidate your opponents. In other words, raise when you enter the action rather than limp. Note carefully that this is very much different from ring game Omaha-8 play.

(4) Since BB is short stacked, anticipate the strong possibility of BB raising all-in before the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
Couple people fold, OTB raises, SB folds, BB calls for 37 more (putting him all in)..so I call to see the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Terrible idea?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

When you get the chip lead in a tournament, you don’t want to dribble it away. There’s an insidious illusion involved here: it seems as though you have plenty of chips. But because the blinds will soon double, and then will soon double again, your chip advantage is actually less substantial than it may seem.

In my humble opinion, you should wait for a better opportunity (better hand, better position, better candidate for intimidation) and then instead of limping, you should pounce.

Buzz