Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-06-2005, 09:02 PM

Default The Egg Drop

Me and my brother havent been able to spend much time together, so I thought this was a good oppurtunity to do something together.

He has a project for school, and he's really excited about it. He told me (dont remember all the details) that he is building a small container, so that when he drops an egg (while in the container) from various heights, it wont break.

He plans on putting things inside the container to keep the egg from breaking. I gave him the common sense info, like stuffing it with cotton balls.

Do you guys have any other ideas to help my little brother out? Like what to stuff it with? What type of materials to build the container out of?
Old 12-06-2005, 09:13 PM

Default Re: The Egg Drop

you can have the bottom of the container be flexible and yielding, like a thin layer of stretched rubber, so it absorbs the impact. then line the sides of the container with foam. when you drop it, it will bounce around and hit the foam, but wont break.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:16 PM

When I was in third grade, my egg didn't break, so I'll let you in on what I did:

If I remember correctly, you need 1) 1 small cardboard container, 2) cotton material and possibly that bubble packaging stuff, 3) strings attached to the box with 4) a parachute. For the parachute I think I used one of those toy army soldier ones... not sure if they still make them though. Or you could probably use a pillow case.

Good luck!

PS. I remember one nerdy kid used a bag of jello. That didn't work, but it was awfully funny.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:27 PM

i made by far the best egg drop container ever:

First build a structure out of straws that resembles a decahedron or similar structure (the best possible structure should be made out of traingles). Then make a small box for the egg lined w/ tissue or something soft (the bos should be rather snug to the egg once filled w/ soft stuff). Then attatch rubberbands to the corners of the outer structure and fasten them to the egg container. The rubber bands should be fairly tight, but loose enough to give some when droped.

the one i built could survive quite a drop.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:30 PM

Are there any restrictions? I remember the kid who won in my class made something kind of like a helicopter that just twirled slowly to the ground. I think he could've dropped it from the top of the empire state building and it wouldn't have broken. I think we were only allowed to use paper though.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are there any restrictions? I remember the kid who won in my class made something kind of like a helicopter that just twirled slowly to the ground. I think he could've dropped it from the top of the empire state building and it wouldn't have broken. I think we were only allowed to use paper though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not aware of any restrictions.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:23 PM

heh, i had a friend do that as well. we were allowed multiple submissions, so he made Jelloooooo, which was the egg suspended in something like 3 gallons of jello. He also made Ice, which was the egg frozen in the center of a giant (~2' sides) ice cube. We threw our devices off the top of the 5 or 6 story performing arts building that bordered the school parking lot. What a wonderful mess.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:45 PM

We did this in 6th grade science class. It had to survice 3 drops from a 3rd story roof off the school. I put my egg in a solid block of styrofoam and rigged up a parachute. It survived the 1st drop, but the shoot didn't deploy on the 2nd one and that was that. Perhaps if your brother is better at making chutes?

Btw- Your avatar's smokin! Who is that?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:27 AM

When I did it in the fifth grade, I packed my egg in the middle of a pint size Tupperware container, surrounded the egg with layers of mini-marshmallows as "springs", and filled the gaps up with chocolate pudding.

The egg survived the fall, though the Tupperware container cracked.

And the combination of marshmallows and pudding, which sounded delicious to me when I made the mixture, lost all its appeal by the time I was ready to eat it after the contest was over.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:02 PM

Sorry guys, apparantley theres are some restrictions. It cant have balloons or a parachute, and it cant be very "heavy". It can have "wings", though.

Thanks for the replies so far.

[ QUOTE ]
Btw- Your avatar's smokin! Who is that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure, some swimwear model pic I stumbled acrossed. She is smoking, though.