Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 08-18-2005, 05:16 AM

Default after mike sexton\'s CP article....he needs to STFU

sexton's new article

most of this article was all right..the complaints were valid..until he came to the idea of limiting the number of entrants in the wsop.

[ QUOTE ]
Can you imagine a much larger venue than the Rio had this year? And staffing an event that could be twice as large next year will be very difficult, if not impossible.

So, what’s the solution to the growth problem? Well, many think it’s time to increase the buy-in of the championship event to $20,000-$25,000. That would eliminate the problem of a massive field. Here’s my suggestion: Set the WSOP up like the U.S. Open golf tournament. Make players qualify regionally to play in the championship event. Bring the top 2,000 players from these qualifying events into Las Vegas for the final event. Allow another 1,000-2,000 to qualify at the Rio. In other words, players would have to earn their way into the championship event.

I would set up regional qualifying in Europe and other places around the world, as well as in the East, North, South, Midwest, Southwest, and West here in the United States; $10,000 buy-in tournaments would be held at the qualifying sites, where players would have to make the money to play in the final event in Las Vegas.

[/ QUOTE ]

well mike, no that idea sucks i'm sorry. do the good players get invites then? what happens if phil ivey tries to qualify and doesn't make the main event? he's gonna cap someone's white ass that's what. and maybe it'll be yours mike.
i for the most part have respect for you mike, but this idea is $hit. the only reason these pools have grown and why poker is so popular is that it's accessible to everyone. And that's what makes the game appealing.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:08 AM

Default Re: after mike sexton\'s CP article....he needs to STFU

[ QUOTE ]
what happens if phil ivey tries to qualify and doesn't make the main event? he's gonna cap someone's white ass that's what. and maybe it'll be yours mike.

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao
Old 08-18-2005, 07:11 AM

Dude...Nuts, you should have thought of this first. Make him play "whose in my mouth." Much better than STFU.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you imagine a much larger venue than the Rio had this year? And staffing an event that could be twice as large next year will be very difficult, if not impossible.

So, what’s the solution to the growth problem? Well, many think it’s time to increase the buy-in of the championship event to $20,000-$25,000. That would eliminate the problem of a massive field. Here’s my suggestion: Set the WSOP up like the U.S. Open golf tournament. Make players qualify regionally to play in the championship event. Bring the top 2,000 players from these qualifying events into Las Vegas for the final event. Allow another 1,000-2,000 to qualify at the Rio. In other words, players would have to earn their way into the championship event.

I would set up regional qualifying in Europe and other places around the world, as well as in the East, North, South, Midwest, Southwest, and West here in the United States; $10,000 buy-in tournaments would be held at the qualifying sites, where players would have to make the money to play in the final event in Las Vegas.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only real difference between Sexton's plan and the current structure is that Sexton's early "rounds" would take place outside of Las Vegas, placing less of a burden on the Vegas host. For someone with $10,000 to spend, the odds of qualifying for the final table would still be dependent upon the size of the field (skill level not withstanding), regardless of whether one started playing in Paris or Vegas.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only real difference between Sexton's plan and the current structure is that Sexton's early "rounds" would take place outside of Las Vegas, placing less of a burden on the Vegas host. For someone with $10,000 to spend, the odds of qualifying for the final table would still be dependent upon the size of the field (skill level not withstanding), regardless of whether one started playing in Paris or Vegas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but consider what happened when they expanded the NCAA field to "65 teams." Nobody picks that game in their pool, virtually nobody watches it, it's not a real part of the tournament. By the same token, playing in the Paramus, New Jersey qualifier for the WSOP is not the same thing as playing in the WSOP, even if you say "oh, it's the same thing as playing Round 1 at a different site!"
Old 08-18-2005, 09:33 AM

I only see two real negatives to Mike's plan.

First, if this is going to be THE WSOP Main Event, then I don't want the qualifying rounds to be super-satellites, I would want them to be events where you play down to the money or some such, and then take your chip count forward. If it's really going to be one big tournament with multiple starting sites, then you have to let people who accumulate chips take advantage of that skill. If you make it work like a regular super-sat, then as others have suggested, then you really haven't made it to the WSOP until you win your way in at the regional qualifier, and that means people who just play in the regional qualifier, but don't make it through, won't feel as if they were part of the Main Event.

Second problem is there are going to be a lot of people who might find the time to take off of work for a regional, but then not be able to make it to LV for the rest of the Main Event. And knowing this, they simply won't enter the regional event. In other words, you will lose some players. Now, obviously, you will gain more than you lose, as other folks will say I can afford to travel from Bern to Paris and play the regional event, as I won't have to fork over the big bucks and take the time for a long overseas trip unless I've already made it into the money. However, I am going to feel disappointed for those who can make it to one event or the other, but not both.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 08-18-2005, 09:50 AM

A way to solve this problem is to give players exceptions, like if they have ever won they don't have to qualify again or have X number of years of exceptions.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:36 AM

Default No, YOU do

[ QUOTE ]
most of this article was all right..the complaints were valid..until he

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, object to a portion that you don't like. Telling him to STFU? That his idea is [censored]? That's childish.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A way to solve this problem is to give players exceptions, like if they have ever won they don't have to qualify again or have X number of years of exceptions.

[/ QUOTE ]

That may work for gold, where the money comes from the sponsors anyway, but when the money comes from my pocket, I want an equal shot to everyone else. I don't want the pros to get an edge or be seeded at different tables or be given an exemption from qualifying.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:53 AM

Definitely true. I think my personal preference would be to increase the buyin to 25k like the WPT Championship. The satelittes online would still happen, although they'll probally send slightly less players. It's about time the buyin changed, 5600+ player, I believe, makes the tournament too much of a crap shoot, although I think watching the final table will be quite entertaining this year. Personally I prefer watching the Pros over the Amateurs, but that's just me.