Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 03-07-2003, 10:45 AM

Default Favorite comments from the Bush press conference

When asked about the lack of evidence in support of his claims that Iraq has vast quantities of WMD, combined with the fact that many other nations support continued inspections and diplomacy, Bush boldly declared that if something isn't done now, we'll see something far worse than anything in the past. We saw what they did with just 4 planes, and they possess far worse weapons than that.

Later, when asked whether he ever had any doubts about his present course, whether he thought that maybe aggressive US military action would increase terrorism, Bush replied that he "couldn't imagine anything worse than 9/11."

--------------

It also brought me great joy that he used the expression "I believe that Saddam has weapons of mass destruction" at least a dozen times during the session. Other prize-winners were "we all know there are links between Iraq and Al-Queda" (I'm assuming he's referring to the fact that they're both from the Middle East) and his refusal to bridge the logical gap between "they need to disarm or we'll make them" and "we'll be disposing of Hussein while we're at it." Hey...at least he was bright enough to avoid the "I wouldn't worry about that - he's not coming out of this one alive" answer to the questions about the necessity of capturing/killing Hussein in the event of war.
Old 03-07-2003, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Favorite comments from the Bush press conference

Yes, it was a truly spectacular question and answer [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . I liked his charge of Saddam "in the past funding Al-Qaeda-type groups", since we, in the past, funded Al-Qaeda.

Or one of my favorites was when asked about millions of ordinary citizens taking to the streets and protesting, he made the brilliant observation that there are lots of protests all the time.

And his comments that essentially stated the UN is lucky we have gone through them at all is sure to make the rest of the world more sympathetic.

It looks like we may have a couple more weeks before the war. Perhaps he can manage to lose even more allies by then? If anyone can do it, he can!

Morgan
Old 03-07-2003, 03:38 PM

He is clearly the most incompetent CEO this nation has ever been forced to live under. Oh, he is only one of a small number of unelected CEO's. Gerald Ford was known to be stupid. Who is more dumb? Ford (dumb) or Bush II (dumber)?
Old 03-07-2003, 09:02 PM

From the press conference:

Q: "Millions of Americans can recall a time when leaders from both parties set this country on a mission of regime change in Vietnam. Fifty thousand Americans died. The regime is still there in Hanoi. And hasn't harmed or threatened a single American in the 30 years since the war ended. What can you say tonight, sir, to the sons and the daughters of the Americans who served in Vietnam to assure them that you will not lead this country down a similar path in Iraq?"

A: That's a great question. Our mission is clear in Iraq. Should we have to go in our mission is very clear: disarmament. And in order to disarm it will mean regime change. I'm confident we'll be able to achieve that objective in a way that minimizes the loss of life. No doubt, there's risks with any military operation. I know that. But it's very clear what we intend to do. And our mission won't change. Our mission is precisely what I just stated. We have got a plan that will achieve that mission should we need to send forces in.

TRANSLATION:

Q: How can you reassure us that this isn't another war that history will someday prove to have been pointless?

A: Becaues war is the only path to disarmament, I have no intention of giving history any such chance.

The real question we want answered: are you more crazy than stuipid, or is it the other way around?
Old 03-07-2003, 11:35 PM

Good point. I really was impressed at how he was able to avoid directly answering pretty well every question thrown his way - even the softballs. And people say the Bushmeister isn't the sharpest tool in the shed!

From a totally unrelated angle, I was blown away by the number of references to God, prayer and religion in that speech/Q&A session. One would think this would be a topic to be avoided, with the exception of the mandatory God Bless you all and God Bless America.

(Please, no positive responses from mindless conspiracy freaks who shall remain nameless and like the number 36 - having your support is like Augusta having KKK support. If you want to argue with me, fine - I'll just ignore you. Your support undermines my brilliant arguments. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img])

As always,
Irish
Old 03-08-2003, 12:12 AM

I could only watch a few minutes of the press conference. I had to turn it off.

It is a bit embarrassing to have this guy for President. He cannot even lie that well. When you listen to other "World Leaders" they are usually more articulate, can explain numerous points, can answer questions in complete sentences, and expand on different aspects of a question, or add an extra point etc.

Boy George, simply cannot.

-Zeno
Old 03-08-2003, 12:23 AM

IrishHand,

Did anyone notice that president Bush looked at the podium and read the reporters name, and read the answer back? It visually appeared to me that he already knew the questions that were going to be asked. Futhermore, no one asked him any hard hitting questions that would even make him look the least bit surprised.

But, the part that really bothered me is how he used religion to support his views. I guess it's no surprise that the middle east views him as a middle ages Christian crusader. I see the misuse of religion in this case to be similar to the method that Bin Ladin used. It was used to stir up the emotions of people to reinforce his view. I believe this is the wrong way to go about convincing Americans concerning his view. Actually, I perfer the method the UK used in stressing each of the UN resolutions. I think the UK method was superior. The US method makes us look like dummies to the rest of the world.

Anyway, guys, let's face it. The war is going to happen.
The only possible way for Iraq to get out of this war is for them to turnover all the weapons of mass distruction that the US gave him during the '80's, and I don't think Iraq could do it, or for the so called "dirty 40" to leave Iraq.

Flames away! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Mark
Old 03-08-2003, 12:29 AM

Gallup published a poll last week indicating that support for war was slightly higher among people with stronger religious affiliations. Another mirror of 9/11.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:14 AM

bush actually says 'its scripted' and the press laughs. whatever thats worth.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:17 AM

well the weird thing is that talk radio host alex jones lives in austin texas and used to be involved in republican stuff and says that bush is definitely an articulate and powerful speaker. (from attending numerous events where bush spoke)

which just makes it all the wierder.

remember when bush 'choked on a peanut' and got a black eye or whatever? gotta wonder whats going on.